Author Topic: Iscoyd??  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Iscoyd??
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 February 07 16:06 GMT (UK) »
If it's Whitewell, AR, then it would be best for Jacky to post on the Cheshire (Malpas)/Shropshire (Ellesmere) Boards. The problems is knowing which one  :-\

Do you have any other information that might help to decide on it, Jacky?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 February 07 16:17 GMT (UK) »
From Genuki (link above)

Whitewell / Iscoyd

"A township, in the parish of Malpas, union of Ellesmere, hundred of Maelor, county of Flint,

I am sure Jacky will come up with more info in due course which will clarify.

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 February 07 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Problem is that none of the records are held in Flintshire if it's that one - The Church ones are in Cheshire and the Civil ones are in Ellesmere RD, so................
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 07 16:23 GMT (UK) »
You are probably right about that, providing we are talking about early records

Parish Registers

Until 1885, baptisms, marriages and burials at Whitewell were recorded in the registers of St. Oswald, Malpas. These registers, from 1561, have been deposited in Cheshire Record Office.
From 1885, the parish church of Whitewell has kept its own registers. These have not been deposited, and are understood to be held by the incumbent.

Jacky was right to post in Flintshire initially though, please don't frighten her off her Welsh connection!  ;)

Shall we be patient?

:D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 February 07 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Wow - so much information, and it's only a couple of hours since I posted!!  Thank you all for your help ;)
I'm sure between you you've put me on the right track - the lady I'm looking for was called Mary[OK, I know that's not real helpful!], and married one Thomas Edwards, before 1830. On 1851 and subsequent census returns she gives her place of birth as Iscoyd, Flintshire. Thomas was from Cholmondeley, Cheshire, so we're in the right region with Malpas, I think.  They seemed to live in the Bickley area for most of their married life.  Thanks again, it's a big help, Jacky
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 February 07 18:24 GMT (UK) »
There are two entries of Marriages on the IGI which caught my eye.They come with a "health warning" in that they are submitted entries,;The first is of a Thomas Edwards and a Mary Porter which took place at Malpas,the 22nd of March 1824.The second took place at Malpas,the 27th of February 1826.The second of these would coincide nicely wqith the 1841 Census,which shows their youngest child William to have been born in c 1827.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 February 07 07:55 GMT (UK) »
They were the two I was looking at, too, William - thanks for that ;)
I was favouring Mary Porter, but not convinced of either yet.  There's a Mary Porter christened at  06 FEB 1803 Hawarden, Flint, Wales and also  12 FEB 1804 Astbury, Cheshire, England

The later marriage - Mary Hughes offers several possibilities around 1803/4
I think I probably need to sit and pore over an old map for a while! 
Thaks again for everyone's time, it's really appreciated :D
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor