Author Topic: Obituary, Richard Dudley 1822  (Read 3264 times)

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
Obituary, Richard Dudley 1822
« on: Thursday 08 February 07 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Richard Dudley, born 1822, was a School Master in his final years at Llanyblodwel,having also taught at Chirbury, Erdington, Bridgenorth, etc.
On Tuesday 12th. June1883 an " Illuminated Address" was presented to him in his honour in Llanyblodwel Schoolroom .
He died in early March 1892 and was buried in St. Michaels Church, Llanyblodwel  on 9th. March 1892.
I have been unable to find any "Obituary" or details of his funeral. Can anyone please help? Many thanks, Eric.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary, Richard Dudley 1822
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 07 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,

I thought his funeral may have been mentioned in the Bridgnorth Journal (Shropshire)

Only found a death notice in the 12 March 1892 issue;

"Died - on the 5th inst. at the school, Llanyblodwel, Oswestry. Richard Dudley formerly of Eardington in this County, aged 69 years"

Gwynne Chadwick
Transcribing the Bridgnorth, Shropshire records.
http://www.chadwickg.freeserve.co.uk
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary, Richard Dudley 1822
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 07 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help. The family were very involved in the teaching profession, his wife Anna[ Butter] she was buried on August 28 1895 whilst she was in residence at Vernview Mount, Llansantffraid. age 69 years, is there any mention of her in the Press? Their three daughters were teachers at varies times Jane Gollen Dudley, Sarah Anncutt Davies, she died March 8th 1895 and Sophia Davies, they were both married to Francis John Davies, after the"Deceased wives marriage act of 1907" I am not sure if any of the sons went into teaching.
I have one other querie, Richard Dudley was shown as a Tax Collector in the 1871 Census, what type of tax would he be collecting? Eric