Author Topic: Stockdale Family of East Markham  (Read 19388 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Stockdale Family of East Markham
« on: Thursday 08 February 07 16:11 GMT (UK) »
My 6x great grandfather is Benjamin Stockdale, born in East Markham c1752. His wife was Ann (bc1856) and his children included my 5x great grandmother Rebecca (bc1785) and Benjamin (bc1797).

I was wondering if anyone else was related to this family or if anyone knew anything of them.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stockdale Family of East Markham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 07 16:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi Stephen !

I have an Ellen Stockdale ..... but I have no idea where she was born  ??? though she ended up in Liverpool !
Do you happen to know the names of the other children ... or is that what you're looking for ??

Ellen Stockdale b 1788 m James Butler (mariner)1805-08-02 St Peter's Church Liverpool ( b.1786 ) Ellen Butler (widow) m Thomas Avery 1820-07-17 St Nicholas Church Liverpool  Died 11 Elizabeth Terrace Salisbury Street Everton

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 07 00:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if any of the family went to Liverpool at the moment - I only know of the branch that came to Preston.

I also only know two of the children.

Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 07 14:50 BST (UK) »
there are a few Stockdale families still in East Markham. mainly farmers.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 07 14:54 BST (UK) »
I've recently found that they aren't my direct ancestors, but they are related (I though two people were brother and sister when they were actually cousins).

Offline titch277

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am also related to the STOCKDALES from East Markham, George Sockdale b 1720, Benjamin Stockdale b 1750 was the 4th youngest of George.

They were famers and mainly had farms in TOP STREET & LOW STREET East Markham.

The Stockdales have a connection with the WALKER family (WALKER HAULAGE) Mary Ellen Stockdale (Ellen) Maried Edward Daniel Walker (Dan)

My Connection is Joseph Stockdale b 1900 East markham, he came to Essex and married Amy Millicent Neville

these are my gt gt grandparents

titch277

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
My wife is a direct descendant 4GGGD of Benjamin Stockdale.I am interested to see that you have the tree back a further generation to East Markham.Her descent is through Rebecca Stockdale b1785 who married William Taylor at East Markham in 1815. Do you have any further information please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline titch277

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I have Rebecca b1785 on my tree, along with her family.

From the IGI records I found George b abt 1720 Nottinghamshire, but ive yet to find a marriage.

Titch277

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 March 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
According to what I have found so far, Benjamin and Ann nee Weselby had 9 children between 1778 and 1797, none of them appear to have died as children which if correct is unusual for the period. Do you know either of any further children or of any of the children dying prematurely?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)