Author Topic: Stockdale Family of East Markham  (Read 19385 times)

Offline titch277

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stockdale Family of East Markham
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 March 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks redroger will sort that now!!!

Offline titch277

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 March 10 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Would just like to thank all of you for the help you have given "US STOCKDALE"  decendants, im sure that any information recieved will be shared and digested, and very gratefully recieved!!!!

Again a big thank you to all of you  xxx

Titch277

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheepish,
If you need any more pics scanning did you know that your local high street chemist chain located in Retford has scanners where you can put scans on disc and then upload on to message boards.

Emmadog
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline sheepish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 March 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I didnt know that!
Am off to Retford on Thurs, will try and drag myself into the C20th.
Thanks!
Dad: Lynn (Egmanton), Cupit (Egmanton), Otter (Rampton), Stacey (East Markham), Rawding (Newark), Savin (oxford)
Mum: Davies (Hereford/Wales) Blow (Lincoln), Challans (Coleby,Lincoln), Whitmore ( London: Balham, Wandsworth, Westminster etc) Mendoza (Madrid), Bennett ( London) , Bligh and Bond(Plymouth/London)

Offline sheepish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Red and co,

Spent a couple of hrs at retford library today. Here is what i found so far:

The Parish Registers for East markham are from dates 1561-1900 and include births deaths and marriages.
I found Benjamin Stockdale born: December 28th 1750, baptised January 28th 1751 to George and Elisabeth STockdale. Although a bloke in there told me that january 28th would still be counted as 1750 cos of the ecclesiatical calendar. Didnt make sense to me, is it true??
I found some other children:
John born November ?15th (illegible) 1746, baptised 30th December 1746.
Elisabeth born February ?2nd (date obscured after the 2) 1744.
Doesnt sound much for the time i spent! Still, i will go back and have another go, taking a big packed lunch with me. Praps I will make Larkspur come with me to double the effort... The original parish registers are apparently kept at Nottingham archives. The early dates were very hard to read due to terrble writing and poor quality filming praps.
I will have a wander around the graveyard to see what graves i can find.

Dad: Lynn (Egmanton), Cupit (Egmanton), Otter (Rampton), Stacey (East Markham), Rawding (Newark), Savin (oxford)
Mum: Davies (Hereford/Wales) Blow (Lincoln), Challans (Coleby,Lincoln), Whitmore ( London: Balham, Wandsworth, Westminster etc) Mendoza (Madrid), Bennett ( London) , Bligh and Bond(Plymouth/London)

Offline titch277

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheep

many thanks for that Information, it confirms that George was the father, and now we have a wife!!!

Thanks for thaking the time, I know how mind draining it can be & before you realise 4 hours have gone by!!!!

titch277

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 March 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheep, yes very time consuming in the Library, I only usually get there in the school holidays and then my daughters are pestering to leave as they have found their books and probably read them too by this time!! I did drag them round the churchyard and we found 11 stones for Stockdales. If you want pics get in touch personally with your E Mail and I can send them to you. Oh, I also have Rawdings and Otters in my tree.
As to the dates it is the change from the Julien Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar that causes the "date change" if you go on Wiki and put Gregorian Calendar in it explains it all. I think we lost 11 days in 1752.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 March 10 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely true Sheepish, and thanks very much for what you have found. Up to 1751 the year started in April, the tax year still does!, and in order to realign the calendar which had got 11 days out of alignment with the seasons due to a wrong apportionment of leap years 11 days were deducted from Sept? 1750 to correct the calendar. This brought us into line with most of Europe though Russia did not convert until after the revolution, and their church still celebrates its festivals on the old calendar, now around 13 days out. Am about to add your findings to my wife's tree, and will likely be back later. Thanks again.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 March 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Great work Sheepish, not bad at all for 4 hours work, but my views may be coloured because I am researching a scarce surname, Luffman, which even now has only approx 550 bearers in the UK. If you find one per session when researching such a name you are doing well, it does have the consolation though of knowing when you find one (s)he is yours.
If the Stockdales were resident there throughout the register period you might get back to near 1561, but expect a gap or at least omissions during the Cromwellian period approx 1650-1660. As a general rule if I find no record of any typefor a family over a 50 year period I assume that have either left the area, or have not yet arrived there.
Don't be tempted to go to Nottingham, though they have the registers there you will only be allowed to see a film or fische again, this is done to protect the original. They are very reluctant to give access to original registers, I know, I've tried with some terrible ones at Lincoln, it;s the fische, film or nothing.
Some places do have transcriptions of registers, if the film is very bad it is worth asking whether the register has been transcribed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)