Author Topic: George Branscombe  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
George Branscombe
« on: Friday 09 February 07 20:19 GMT (UK) »
My 4x grandfather was George Branscombe he was born c 1778 Devon he married in Hastings in 1808 Mary Hutchinson  have only found 2 daughters Georgina 1812 Mary 1809 it appears by 1816 the family were recieving poor relief as George was ill. Is there any way I can find out when George died as it seems Mary went on to have at least one more child named Samuel  Branscombe but his father was a Samuel Stace.this was in 1818 any help on this family would be great Further to this Samuel Stace was b 1791 Sussex and died 1866 Marine Parade Sussex spouse Mary Hutchinson???? When Mary died in the workhouse Ore in 1864 it states she was the widow of George branscombe so I am getting a little confused Maybe some one can help  :(
    Thanks KateNZ ???
Borders Ettrick Brydon/Bryden Smeal Tait
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Branscombe
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 17:31 GMT (UK) »
If you do not get a reply from someone with access to the parish register your best bet may be to get the film from your nearest LDS centre and search it there for burials.  They are worldwide so with luck there will be one fairly near you.  They are listed on www.familysearch.org
Is there anyone covering that are on the Sussex Online Parish Clerks site?
Where is the Marine Parade you are talking about?   Still in the Hastings area?  Have you found them on the census?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I am getting confused too!   The only Samuel Stace I can find in census records born c 1791 in Sussex is married to a Rebecca in all the census years.  How do you know he was the father of Mary's child?   Is it from poor relief records?
I cannot find any census entries that fit Mary other than one in 1841 Hastings St Clements for Mary Branscomb 55 laundress with  Mary age 30 and a child William 8.   Relationships are not given in 1841 so he could be the younger Mary's son.  Am I on the right track here?
In 1851 she has a grandson Fred Samuel Morphy with her.  In 1861, a lodger.
Andrea

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 07 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrea when Samuel Henry branscombe was born in 1818 mother Mary Branscombe father by admission Samuel Stace.A researcher from the line of Samuel b 1818 sent me the info the Marine Parade was St Mary in the Castle.I will get back to the researcher for some more definite answers.In the 1841 census that is Mary and her daughter Mary the William I am not sure if he is the daughters son or the mothers.in 1847 Mary {Dau} m Thomas Morfee.I will try the online parish clerk and see what I can find thank you for your help    Regards KateNZ :)
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 07 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I think St Mary in the Castle is an area of Hastings and I have just found Marine Parade on a map - on the sea front as you would expect!
Andrea

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 07 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Kate,

If you go to the Sussex OPC page for Hastings there is a link that will take you to 1066 Genealogy, which is Chris's website. A lot of the burial registers are there.

I have looked through them quickly from about 1803 to the 1850's, but couldn't see an entry for George. The only Branscombe I could find was Frederick, of St Mary-in-the-Castle, buried at All Saints on 3rd April 1838, age 18. I did notice a few Hutchinson and Stace burials in passing.

Regards,
Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 07 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Phil just came of that site couldnt find George but found some other interesting things
Cheers KateNZ ;D

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 07 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Kate,

It made my eyes ache going through that lot. :'(

Have you had a look at A2A? I just typed in Branscombe and searched the ESRO. It came up with two entries for Mary; PAR367/32/3/129 and 130.

The interesting thing is that it says that Mary is pregnant, but the date is 22 July 1820, which is well after the supposed birth of Samuel. Could be a second one I suppose. It also fits with the death of Frederick in 1838.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 07 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the eyes aching LOL my head aches with it but thanks for that I will try the archives.I have a death for Frederick and yea it fits I also have one for a Walter died aged 8months 1834.Looks like my Mary could have been a busy lady still with all the great help I get here I may eventually solve it
So thank you very much for that
Cheers kateNZ :-*