Author Topic: Smoke tar damaged Photo  (Read 3155 times)

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
Smoke tar damaged Photo
« on: Friday 09 February 07 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Would some kind sole please see what they can do to salvage this photograph of Me and my Uncle

Many many thank you's in anticipation

Best regards
Peter

Surname interests:
Machon(Poland), Hill, Howard, Tate, Cockburn, Maltby, Atack(Haytack), Wood, Walker, Brittle, Anderson
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Area Interests:
Poznan Poland, Nottingham, London, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Durham, Northumberland, Huddersfield West Yorkshire, Burton on Trent Staffordshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke tar damaged Photo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 07 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Poor old photo  :( :( :(  At least it was not burnt completely  :)

Do you have the photo in your possession?  There are a few things you can try to clean the surface soot off it, if you'd like to have a go.  Let me know and I'll explain them to you.  (I'm a qualified photograph conservator so I won't tell you to do anything that will destroy your pic, don't worry! ;)  )

Prue

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue

I do have the photo

Yes it used to have pride and place on mantle over the fireplace in my Gran's home

Unfortunately she and the family were very heavy smokers

Yes Please I am willing to try what you suggest - many thanks

Best regards
Peter
Surname interests:
Machon(Poland), Hill, Howard, Tate, Cockburn, Maltby, Atack(Haytack), Wood, Walker, Brittle, Anderson

Area Interests:
Poznan Poland, Nottingham, London, Oxfordshire, Middlesex, Durham, Northumberland, Huddersfield West Yorkshire, Burton on Trent Staffordshire

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 February 07 23:56 GMT (UK) »
OK, first thing is to be very gentle!  You don't need to apply pressure to get these techniques to work.  Don't do anything if the picture appears very dry and flaky - you might lose the surface altogether.

1.  Using a very soft brush (like a blusher-brush or a very soft chinese calligraphy brush), start in the middle of the picture and brush gently outwards using short strokes.  This will get off any loose surface dust etc.
2.  Take a cotton wool ball and using the same technique, move it over the photo.  If it's picking up any dirt etc. you will be able to see it on the cotton wool.
3.  Rinse your mouth out very well using water and a toothbrush (but no toothpaste).  Take a cotton bud/Q-tip and stick one end in your mouth to get a bit of spit on it.  Start at an outer corner of the photo - hold the cotton bud at as low an angle as you can (i.e. as flat to the photo as possible) and roll it back and forth across the photo.  As the cotton becomes dirty, start with a new one.

Hopefully this should help it come up a bit cleaner!  If you do try any or all of these techniques, let me know if you have any success.

Cheers
Prue

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Here's a quick lighten up (untouched otherwise) to show everyone what the content is  8)
Mudge

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 07 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Actually (before Poll has a go at me again  ;D ;D ;D) this is it  :o :o :o
Mudge

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 07 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue and Mudge

Thank you to both of you for what you have done
Will clean the photo and rescan
Thanks again - I have great admiration for what you guys can acheive

Best regards
Peter
Surname interests:

Area Interests:

Offline isitdust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Peter Machon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 07 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue

Did as you suggested BUT I'm afraid apart from removing a lot of muck the image is still the same and some of the photo has flaked away - fortunately around the edges

It is now upto some one to see if they can improve the image digitally

Best regards
Peter
Surname interests:

Area Interests:

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 February 07 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Sorry the picture didn't clean up particularly well, but at least it got off alot of dirt etc.  I suspect that the picture has actually been chemically changed and it will never look like it did originally  :(
Prue