Author Topic: Link: Melbourne Hospital Deaths 1867 - 1880  (Read 2497 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Link: Melbourne Hospital Deaths 1867 - 1880
« on: Sunday 29 February 04 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Melbourne Hospital Deaths 1867 - 1880

Found this site by accident, what is interesting is that it mentions the origin of birth (most UK)  and the ship that they arrived on too. An example entry:

"George Whistler, labourer, aged 41, native of Hampshire; arrived in 1872, by the Tararua, from New Zealand; died October 8 [1872], of cancer of breast."

During the years 1867 to 1880, the Melbourne (Australia) ARGUS newspaper printed monthly lists of deaths that occurred at the Melbourne Hospital, in the state of Victoria, Australia. These lists included mainly residents of the colony, as well as visitors to Melbourne at the time of their deaths. Most of the names in the lists are of foreign born residents or visitors. Each entry includes, in the majority of cases, names, aliases (if any), age, nativity, date of arrival in the colony, vessel arrived on, date of death and cause of death.

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~tfoen/meldeath.html
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Val in Tasmania

• RootsChat Extra
  • TASMANIA,MY HOME STATE FOR 12 YEARS
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Melbourne Hospital Deaths 1867 - 1880
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 July 04 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan

The link on this posting does not appear to take me to your suggested  context. Could you check it please as I would love to peruse it.

Cheers

Val
CUTTS,FLEMING,ELTON

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Melbourne Hospital Deaths 1867 - 1880
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 July 04 13:04 BST (UK) »
Val,

it does work, just checked it:

.... names in the lists are of foreign born residents or visitors. Each entry includes, in the majority of cases, names, aliases (if any), age, nativity, date of arrival in the colony, vessel arrived on, date of death and cause of death. Beginning in late 1997, I commenced compiling and printing these lists, arranged alphabetically, and in two-year lots....

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.