Author Topic: Halpins in Westmeath  (Read 37344 times)

Offline kaligirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins in Westmeath
« Reply #54 on: Friday 19 April 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
I believe I may have found Catherine Donnelly's baptism record through Ancestry.
Does anyone have information on Maurice Donnelly or Ellenor Callahan?

copyright image removed

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 20 April 19 11:58 BST (UK) »

I could find no evidence that the Catherine Donnelly who was baptised at Walshestown and Gaynestown on 30th March 1815 was the same Catherine Donnelly who was married at Collinstown and Fore on 18th September 1838 and who died at Lakill and Moortown on 6th May 1886.

What evidence did you find?

Offline kaligirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:25 BST (UK) »
The information re: Catherine Donnelly is available on registers.nli.ie. subject to the National Library of Ireland terms of use. (In case anyone else can use it) Ancestry's citation is: National Library of Ireland; Dublin, Ireland; Microfilm Number: Microfilm 09486 / 13, Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915
Published by: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc. 2016, Provo, UT, USA

May or may not be the correct Catherine Donnelly, but 1815 vs. 1816 and Mulligar, Meath 1800-1816 seemed like a close match. (Of course, I can find nothing on her parents and was a little surprised to see Maurice as an Irish name.)

Good to hear from you and I hope you are doing well!
 :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:38 BST (UK) »

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 20 April 19 14:58 BST (UK) »
I am aware that the information on the Catholic Parish Registers is available on the National Library of Ireland website. I have seen the entry. However there is nothing to show that the Catherine Donnelly from Walshestown and Gaynestown is the same Catherine Donnelly from Lakill and Moortown.

The registers are not precise or complete and ages meant very little at that time. Until it can be shown that the Catherine Donnelly from Walshestown and Gaynestown is the same Catherine Donnelly from Lakill and Moortown the record remains just a possibility, similar to other records from the period.

Maurice is a common first name in Ireland. Although hats off to whoever transcribed the name from that entry, I’m not sure that I could have.

Offline kaligirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 29 April 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
I visited my sister over the weekend and she gave me my grandmother's scrapbook.
Gandma had Thomas Halpin's parents as I have, but then suggested Patrick's parents were Christopher and Kathrine Corrigan. She had Patrick's grandparents as Christopher and Mary Donnelly.
I'm guessing she confused the two last names (and maybe first names) because there appears to be pretty clear evidence Katherine Donnelly is a correct ancestor.
I started searching for a Mary Corrigan and found a Mary Catherine Corrogan baptized in Westmeath in 1780 (a year before Christopher's birth).

Name: Mary Corrogan
Birth Date: 1780
Baptism Date: 4 Dec 1780
Baptism Place: Castlepollard, Westmeath, Ireland
Parish Variants: Lickblea, Lickblea and Wheran, Rathgarraf, Wheran
Diocese: Meath
Father: Owen Corrogan
Mother: MaryConnel

I can (as of yet) find no evidence of a marriage, but she may be related to this line of Halpins.

PS - thank you Sarah for the copyright alert.

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:02 BST (UK) »
I visited my sister over the weekend and she gave me my grandmother's scrapbook.
Gandma had Thomas Halpin's parents as I have, but then suggested Patrick's parents were Christopher and Kathrine Corrigan. She had Patrick's grandparents as Christopher and Mary Donnelly.
I'm guessing she confused the two last names (and maybe first names) because there appears to be pretty clear evidence Katherine Donnelly is a correct ancestor.
I started searching for a Mary Corrigan and found a Mary Catherine Corrogan baptized in Westmeath in 1780 (a year before Christopher's birth). I've attached the information as the record notes her father as Owen Corrogan and Mother as Mary Connell. I can (as of yet) find no evidence of a marriage, but she may be related to this line of Halpins.

copyright image removed

That is very interesting. I am always interested in old documentation, you never know what new paths it will open.

It will take me a little while to go through the details you provided but at a first glance a couple of things strike me. Christopher died in 1890 so I doubt if he was born in the 1780's. You are related to Corrigans but by marriage rather that blood to the best of my knowledge at the moment. I also have not been able to show a connection to the Corrigans you mention although this may be because I haven't been able to go back far enough as yet.

Anyway, thank you for the information. Any little scrap is always of interest and I appreciate it.

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:07 BST (UK) »

I saw your post about the Halpins of Sheeptown, with the quote from Griffith's Valuation, prior to it's deletion.

I am aware of that family but have as yet been unable to show any connection to the Halpins of Lakill and Moortown.

Offline kaligirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:11 BST (UK) »
Fechin - As always, I SO appreciate your assistance.
This Christopher would be Christopher Halpin's (1816-1890) father.
I'm sorry the Griffith's Valuation was deleted as I'd (not)transcribed that information - must be that I put the website information @ the end.