Author Topic: Edward Campbell b1863  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Edward Campbell b1863
« on: Saturday 10 February 07 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Would anybody be able to do a look-up for Edward Campbell please?  He was boen in Ireland in 1863, and lived in Cleator, Cumberland from around 1871 until after 1891.  He was an iron ore miner.  He hadn't married up until then.  He is on the censuses in 1871, 81 and 91, then disappears.

I wondered if he might have gone abroad somewhere, mining perhaps.  Any help would be appreciated

Rosemary

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Campbell b1863
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 07 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

Check this page out:
RG13
Piece 1780
Folio 134
Pge 9

This person is listed as a "Check Clerk @ Iron Works"

I have been chasing Campbells born in Ireland too, and Edward is definitely a name that keeps cropping up.

Where was your Edward born?
Do you have his parents names?

Bren.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 07 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bren

Edward's parents were Bridget b1821 in Ireland, and John b1809 also in Ireland.  I've posted on Genes tonight for Edward, but also his four brothers who have also disappeared after 1871.  They were a large family, all born in Ireland, and lived in Cleator, Cumberland in 1871. Some of them stayed there, but it looks like the brothers went seeking their fortunes elsewhere.  They were all iron ore miners, so it looks likely.

I don't know which part of Ireland they came from, most of my family go back to Ireland, and that's where it stops!!

It would be nice if I could find them all.

Thanks

Rosemary

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

I have 2 brothers:
James - b. Ireland c. 1855
John Edward (supposedly)b. Glasgow 1852, which I haven't been able to find, so now suspect he may have been born in Ireland too.
Do either of these sound familiar??

No information on further siblings or parents.
I am waiting (5 weeks so far, but that's another story) for the marriage cert details for James & his wife in Ireland, 1876, so will then hopefully have his parents!

James & his wife seemed to travel between Armagh & Scotland quite a bit judging by the birth places of children on one census report when they happened to be in Lancashire!

Family lore is that the brothers went South to Lancashire (from Scotland) for work.

Bren.