Author Topic: Researching real estate transactions  (Read 894 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Researching real estate transactions
« on: Monday 22 November 04 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I haven't had to deal with real estate much ... most of my ancestors were of the non-landed class!  :'(

But I do have an interest in tracing the purchase and sale of a property in Kent in the mid to late 19th century.  It was purchased by one ancestor, possibly around 1840-50, bequeathed to another in 1878, and possibly sold in the 1880's.

I'd welcome any ideas as to how to go about this ... especially from my "remote" location in Canada!

Cheers

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching real estate transactions
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 04 22:13 GMT (UK) »
The transaction would be recorded in the Register of Deeds.  I think the only way you could access this remotely would be to ask the Kent Records Office to do a look-up for you, for a fee.  I'm pretty sure they offer this service.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, suttontrust.  I'll give it a go, though the date of purchase is very vague - could be a costly search!

Cheers

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Tim

You could try posting on the Kent Board and ask someone to do these lookups for you perhaps.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where the land is?

If you do then the Manor Court Books are a fantastic way of tracing land/property owneship.

Wills often mention property. Tythe and Enclosure Maps are very useful.

Family History and Local History are SO entwined.

Best of luck

Teddybear
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Ticker and teddybear for your suggestions,

The property in question is in Maidstone, and was referred to in a will, dated 1878 - before that I had no idea that my family had any connection at all to Kent.

Manor Court books would, again, be available through the Kent Records Office (in this case), I guess.  So Ticker's suggestion seems to be the way to go.

I already got some kind help from bearkat through the Kent board, who managed to establish that the property referred to in the will no longer exists - a 1950's semi occupies the space - and she was good enough to send a photo of it!

Cheers

Tim