Author Topic: Birth of William cartwright c.1795  (Read 4037 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birth of William cartwright c.1795
« on: Monday 22 November 04 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the birth details of William Cartwright. He was born c1796, probably in Stafford.

Can anybody help? ???

Thankyou :)

Neil Cartwright

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of William cartwright c.1795
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any idea where? or parents? The IGI has a few extracted records 1794-1797 for William Cartwright in Stafford. If you have the names of any children, this may help to identify the parent names.
Christening:  28 SEP 1794   Wombourn, Stafford, England
Parents George and Mary

Christening:  08 NOV 1795   Sedgley, Stafford, England
Parents William and Sarah

Christening:  10 JUL 1796   Burslem, Stafford, England
 Parents Samuel and Elizabeth

Christening: 15 JAN 1797   Norton Canes, Stafford, England
Parents Thos. and Ann

Christening:  13 FEB 1797   Wombourn, Stafford, England
 Parents Ths. and Eliz.

There was another who died shortly after death - I assume he would not be whom you are searching for.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Trish.

I really wanted to connecy him with a William C and Mary Foden, born c1753, but it's never quite that simple, is it?

I've been chasing this William (my gggggrandfather) for the past 18 years or so!

Thankyou all the same.

Neil C

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Shame it wasn't William and Sarah or George and Mary - but its the 18+ year efforts that keep us addicted to these family searches.

I notice there are many entries (mainly submitted) for Mary Foden in Cheshire with parishes Nantwich, Congleton, Astbury mentioned. We have a family bible listing our ancestors from this area in 1700/1800s(who were mainly in Staffordshire but seemed to move between the two counties) and one family are not to be seen on the IGI 1750s through 1780s, yet the earlier and later are present. It may be worth posting for parish lookups in both Stafford and Cheshire - or accessing the parish records yourself if you live anywhere near these areas. I've never checked to see if records of this time were "lost" but this could be a possibility as well.

Apologies if you have already tried these options - and if you found/find any Walleys during the search, do let me know!

Trish

Trish

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Trish,

Really interesting. Yes, it's the Mary Foden/William Cartwright family I'm trying to explore. I have her down as being born in Nantwich, but William - I don't know. There seems to be a Stafford connection.

My gggggrandfather was William Cartwright, apparently born Nantwich, but I've searched the Parish Records and had a professional search carried out of adjoining parishes to no avail. (Difficult now to do a lot myself as I live in France).

I've got Mary F and William down for 12 children, BUT a descendant of this family in the USA has heard (from South Africa) that there were 15.

As this was the principal Cartwright family in Nantwich, and MY William was renting a house there from 1815, the chances are they're connected. I want him to be one of the three unaccounted for children. But finding the connection is elusive.

Do you have any Cartwrights in your family Bible?

Sorry, I've not come across any Walleys that I'm aware of, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Neil

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 04 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Neil - I managed to miss your reply. And sorry again - No Cartwrights in the Bible. We have Walleys who married Simpson, Key and Bostock and post 1800 the name Fox appears. With not being able to find Parish records for some of these folks, the pages (2 loose leaf) in the Bible have been wonderful.

Trish