Author Topic: do you know where this is?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline wilfam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
do you know where this is?
« on: Tuesday 13 February 07 05:12 GMT (UK) »
i've just received a death cert for my husbands uncle that died in rhuddlan. his name was john francis robert james williams.  he died in 1989.

the address on the cert. is churton house, russell street.  i've noticed russell street clearly on an area map.  what i'd like help with is the reference to churton house.  is this a retirement center?  apartment building?  does it still exist?  might anyone have a photo? 

the certificate stated he was a retired printer.  does his name ring a bell with anyone as a local printer?  the informant of death was isaac james jones who gave the same address as johns.  we imagine this may have been a care giver.

furthermore, is there a particular newspaper in the area where i might find johns obituary? the death cert. didn't specifically mention anything about next of kin.  johns brother was my husbands grandfather.  however, i'm afraid my grand dad in law  told us little of his parents & siblings before his own death in 1994.  therefore, we're hoping an obituary may shed some light on johns immediate family.

thanks for reading this post.  i know it's a lot of questions so if anyone has ANY information, advice or suggestions regarding the aforementioned, we'd appreciate it a great deal.
cheers
williams fam.
u,s,

Offline Lazylover

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Being driven slowly mad & blaming my ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: do you know where this is?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Williams Family

Unfortunately as I don't come from the Rhyl area I do not know the papers that would be avaliable. However, you could try:

Rhuddlan Library
Vicarage Lane
Rhuddlan
Rhyl
LL18 2UE

Tel - 01745 590719

or Denbighshire Record office:

Denbighshire Record Office
Ruthin Gaol
46 Clwyd Street
RUTHIN
Denbighshire
LL15 1HP

Tel: 01824 708250
Fax: 01824 708258
e-mail: archives[at]denbighshire.gov.uk

The record office does hold a collection of newspapers and the staff are very friendly. They do have a 'Reasearch Service' so they can look for you.

Another good website is www.northwalesbmd.org - they are continually updating their sites. Currently they have entries for Rhuddlan under 'Denbighshire South - Rhyl' within the Births and Marriages.

As for Churton House - I've had a quick look and I don't think that the bulding is  still in existance as Churton House. I doubt that it was a retirement home as many houses have individual names.

I am sorry that I couldn't reply sooner - I see you have been waiting a while.

Good luck with your research and if I can do anything else feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Carole
Code: [Select]

RICE PRICE PARRY originally OWEN - Isle of Man, Holywell, Bradford & dissapeared!

Davies, Mold
Poulston, Denbighshire
Wright, Mold & Hawarden
Roberts, Flintshire
Darlington, Cheshire, Flintshire
Parry, Flintshire
Ellis, Buckley & Chester

I also run the STEERS One Name Study and am registered with the Guild of One Name Studies

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: do you know where this is?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 07 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Wilfam,
Churton House does still exist and it is situated at the junction of Russel Road and Churton Road in Rhyl. It is directly opposite the Denbighshire Council offices. The reference to Rhuddlan will be the name of the Borough that existed then and not the small town situated on the outskirts.
Churton House is a large double fronted red brick house. I could take a photo for you but I would have to post it. I doubt if I could email it.
The newspapers would be:
Rhyl Journal and the Visitor. They are weekly papers that come out on Wednesday. The other paper would be the Daily Post (Welsh Edition) which is a daily paper. If he has lived his life in Rhyl then I would expect him to have a mention.
Most deaths in the town are published in one or maybe more of these papers.
Churton House was a retirement home and has since closed as such but I don't know when.
This should get you started..Good luck. :)
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire