Author Topic: Village of Drummond, nr Limavady - where was it?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Village of Drummond, nr Limavady - where was it?
« on: Tuesday 13 February 07 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
My g-g-g-g-grandfather Richard BALFOUR was born in Drummond, near Newtown Limavady, in about 1795 (according to his army discharge papers).
having done a quick "Google" for Drummond, I can only locate a "Drummond Hotel" which is in Ballykelly.  Would this be on or near the site of Richard's birthplace, do you think? 
Advice appreciated!  :D

TIA

Prue  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Village of Drummond, nr Limavady - where was it?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue- In answer to your question- NO, NO, NO!!!
Drummond Hotel is in Ballykelly.
The townland (not village) of Drummond is on the outskirts of the present town of Limavady (once called Newtownlimavady). The ruins of old Drumachose Church are there and also nearby is the Drenagh estate. There's a Drummond Cricket Club there now, a sawmill and a tile showroom but no village.
I'm actually going to Limavady in 1/2 hour and will pass through Drummond on the way over and back.
Now to Balfour family- the 1831 census survives for Co. Londonderry. Would there have been any Balfours still there I wonder? Griffith's Valuation is much later (1859) so it may not be much use.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Village of Drummond, nr Limavady - where was it?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, aghadowey!  Thank you so much for putting this Aussie straight  ;D  Between townlands, parishes, villages and cities Ireland don't 'alf confuse one  ;)

I have had a bit of research done a while back into the Balfours of Limavady.  In 1831 there was a Richard Balfour living on Ballyclose Street, Newtown LImavady, with 2 families, totalling 7 males and 4 females.  One of these females would be Richard's wife Ann Linton, and they had four sons by that time.  Richard was Catholic, but Ann and the kids were Church of Scotland (Presbyterian).  There were 6 Linton families in Limavady itself - all Presbyterians.

The research also turned up a "Belfore" and a Linton in 1740 Census of Protestant householders (which is interesting, as Richard was Catholic).

I've been unable to trace Richard and Ann back any further than the probable sighting in 1831, so any hints about where to look would be appreciated.  Apparently the researcher who did the original work for me checked all available church records for the period Richard was about (and a long time before and after) but no record of them was found  :-\

Cheers
Prue