Author Topic: 33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption  (Read 36312 times)

Offline marn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption
« on: Wednesday 14 February 07 00:39 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what this address was used for in 1939 - possibly an orphanage but maybe just a residence but I need to know as am trying to verify information.  Can someone point me in the right direction to find out - sorry if this is silly question but I am new at this.
Thanks for your patience.

Offline Marie M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 33 percy street, dublin - 1939 usage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't know a Percy Street but there is a Percy place, it faces on to the Grand  Canal and behind it a Percy Lane which are all in Ballsbridge D4, 8 -34 Percy Place, is currently set out commercial buildings, the originals being demolished, I think.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I'll be over in the Gilbert Library next week and I'll check the 1939/1940 directory for you.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline marn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 33 percy place, dublin - 1939 usage
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 07 20:49 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that dublin 1850 - yes, it was actually percy place not street.  And thank yiou Marie M - It would be fantastic if you could look in the directory when you are in the library - it would be a piece of the puzzle.  Thanks for your help  :) it really is appreciated.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 07 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
I was in the Gilbert today.
The 1939 and 1940 directories both list the occupant of 33 Percy place as a John A. Graham.
No occupation given.
I hope that helps.
Trish
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline marn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
Thanks very much for looking that up - it adds to the mystery as we thought it was a "nursing home".   I know that my mum met another lady who had been adopted and who also had that address as her place of birth..... . I will try Holles Street Hospital to try to get some information in case she was actually born at the hospital. Again, thanks very much for your help. Marnie

Offline marn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish - could I ask a big favour if you are at the library and have any time - I have found out that there was a Registration of Maternity Homes Act 1934 in Ireland that required all homes where children were born or were taken shortly after birth had to be registered - if you have any time and can access these records for Dublin could you see if 33 Percy Place or this John Graham was registered under this act?   It could be another piece of the puzzle... I am trying to find out how to search for this online but so far no luck.  If you have any clues to how I can search this myself online please tell me and I will search.  Any help very very much appreciated.  Thanks again.
Marnie

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marnie,

It appears that those registers contained a lot of useful detail. It would be great if this information was online. I've a hunch the hundred year rule may also apply in Ireland as well as in the UK. Perhaps Trish could confirm whether or not it does apply.

Chris

Offline Feehily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 October 08 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Very interested in this chat. My dad was born in 1941 with the same address on birth cert (33 Percy street)
He was sent 'down the country' - to live with an older couple (never formally adpopted). His birth cert has his
mother's name (Kathleen Dunne) at the Percy street address.
The 1911 census shows John A Graham at this address (his occupation was solicitors managing clerk??)
the hand writing is hard to be certain.
What was your conclusion to your search,?
Was this an unofficial adoption service?
Very interested to hear anything.
Thanks
A