Author Topic: 33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption  (Read 36752 times)

Offline Natasha-7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 33 percy street, dublin - 1939 usage
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 May 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hello there,  yes 1952 I think.  Found Percy place and spoke to a priest, who remembers it being a nursing home.  I found the place that have been keeping the records so now we have to write a letter and wait 6 weeks for an appointment to talk about my mother's file. A social worker will also be there, along with the nun and my mother.  it won't have medical history in it though.  But finger's crossed the info we want will be in it.    :)

Offline Natasha-7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 May 09 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there freehily,
Was just reading your posts and if your parent was baptised in St. Mary's the information your looking for might be in St. Patricks Guild, 203 merrion Road.  They are holding the files.  You must write to them enclosing your parent's birth Cert/Bap cert(photocopy) addressed to ;Sister Francers Fahy.  It takes between6/7 weeks for an appointment.  They will appoint a social worker aswell.
They will give you the information that's held in the file but it doesn't contain any medical information.
They won't see you without an appointment-Hope this helps-let me know how you get on.  My mother was born in 1943 in 33 Percy Place and baptised in St. Mary's, Haddington Rd.  The Sponsor Kathleen Dalton was a  sponsor to a lot of babies at that time.

Good luck.  Natasha.

Offline river6

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi. My Mam was also born in Percy Place in 1943. She has been talking to Sr Frances and has been able to get some limited information from her. Sr Frances said that she didn't have any records and told her to contact the HSE. My mam felt that she was holding something back. Just wondering did you get to talk to Sr Frances and how did you get on. Thanks

Offline Natasha-7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there River,

My mother is still waiting for an appointment date to go see Sr. Frances-surely with the freedom of information act they must give you all the information they have/holding.

Offline seamus461

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 August 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, just found my baby book.
Born * 54 at 39 percy place,St Brendans Nursing Home.The doc was J T? ??onhelm.the nurse was
Rosemary Terry.Hope this small bit helps with your quest
Seamus

Offline niamhkdaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 February 10 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my father was born at 33 Percy Place in 1934.  He thinks it was called Nurse D'altons Nursing Home.  Was this only for children that were to be adopted, or was it also a regular maternity nursing home?  He was not adopted and is curious as to why his mother would have gone there as she lived on the North side of Dublin.  We would be grateful if anyone could shine any light on this mystery. 

Thanks,
Niamh

Offline sharky

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 February 10 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi I too am intrested in 33 Percy Place the infomation i have so far. I am adopted and was born in 1954 at 17 Mount St which was owned by a order of French Nuns when i went looking for records i was told they were held at 33 Percy Place by one of the nuns and that was all the info they were willing to give me. 17 Mount St was were young girls went to have their babies and then they were given over for adoptioni i do know other people who had similar experencies. i have drawn a blank so i am hoping somebody out there might be able tohelp me .

Offline niamhkdaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply.  It seems to be hard to find information on this subject.  If I learn any more I will post it on here.

Niamh

Offline bluebelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my sister who was born at Easter time, in Percy Place, sometime in the mid 1950s.  My mother gave her the name (*) Bailey, but noone of that name was born to a single parent in those years.  I was told that babies were handed to families who were told to register them in their own name. This practice went on well into the sixties. Private nursing homes like Percy Place were a law on to themselves. I think my chances of ever finding her are little to none.

Moderator Note : Details of possibly living person removed as per Rootschat policy