Author Topic: 33 Percy St., Dublin - 1939 / Adoption  (Read 36824 times)

Offline barney joe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 33 percy street, dublin - 1939 usage
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:12 GMT (UK) »
hi there,was this a home for single mothers to have their babies or a type of home for unwanted children as i am trying to trace my fathers roots.can anybody help.

Offline bluebelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 October 11 11:15 GMT (UK) »
It was a mother and baby home where unmarried mothers had their babies.

Offline barney joe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 31 October 11 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,bluebelle thanks for the info.Do you know how they  decided what families to send the children to or who contacted them about it.as my father was raised by a family wicklow.

Offline bluebelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 31 October 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I presume you do not have a birth cert. with your father's biological parents' names on it?  If you had a birth date for your dad the following office may be able to help. The Adoption Authority: Shelbourne House, Shelbourne Rd, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. Direct lines for Adoption Information and Tracing Unit: 01-2309327 ...
Haddington road church may be another avenue.  I have to try this one myself.
Best of luck.

Offline barney joe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes he has a birth cert June 1939.names on it ok but i dont know if they are correct .the names have a connection with n Ireland,thats  what i dont understand how he was born in  33 percy street dublin.a bit confused.out of this it would be nice to know where or what happened to them.would be nice for him to know if any other family members as well as me of my grandparents or cousins.Thanks for that info.will try them.

Offline bluebelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 November 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I think if you have a birth date and name, Shelbourne should be able to do something for you.  Write to them and drop the letter in by hand.  I think the guy in charge is a Tom Joyce = very nice man.  He rang me to discuss my situation.
Let me know how you get on.  Also children were baptised within a day or two of birth so Haddington road should be able to track down baptism cert.  It was 33 Percy Place as opposed to Street,  I do not think there is a street called Percy Street.

Offline barney joe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 November 11 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,I called the adoption unit on thursday , yes was speeking to that man Tom Joyce which is very helpful,and said there was no legal adoption in that time it didnt come into law until about 14 years later.anyway he said the best thing was to go to the general registar office of Births Deaths  &Marriage,and check from it as i have date to start from.It costs 20euro a day to go in and check.He said it would take time.A bit of work in it.How about you,did you have luck.

Offline Maedhbh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I was adopted in 1956. I was told from a private nursing home, St Brendan's, Percy Place.  The doctor who delivered me and arranged the "adoption" was a very famous gyne in Dublin until the mid 1980's, I know his name.  he told my father (adopted) to register me as being born to him and my mother (adopted).
I was told by Barnardos that the records of the Nursing Home were stored in the D.Health and I would need a court injunction to see them.  Is this true?

Has anyone had any success in getting any information? 

Offline bluebelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 15 April 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
The difficulty is that your mother may not have given her real name which is what happened in my case and my mother cannot now remember what name she gave. If my sister was born in '56 I calculate that it would have either been the last week of March or the first week of April as Easter Sunday that year was the 1st of April.
Phone Tom Joyce ....The Adoption Authority: Shelbourne House, Shelbourne Rd, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. Direct lines for Adoption Information and Tracing Unit: 01-2309327 ...   He will advise you..