Author Topic: Nolan from The Bawn, Kilmeague  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nolan from The Bawn, Kilmeague
« on: Wednesday 14 February 07 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Descended from Richard NOLAN, born Mar 1833 at The Bawn, Kilmeague, son of Peter NOLAN and Betty/Eliza/Elizabeth BERNEY.

He came to New Zealand in 1860 on the Bluejacket, along with a younger brother Joseph. According to family stories, Richard had worked as a drapers assistant at Kirkcaldies in Dublin, and when they were opening a new shop in NZ, he was offered a job there. He stayed in NZ, as did Joseph initially. Joseph later went to Melbourne.

Known children of Peter and Betty were

Theresa 1823 possibly married a LAWLER
Mary 1825 married O'CONNOR
Jane 1830
Richard 1833 came to NZ
Patrick 1835
Joseph 1837 came to NZ/Australia
Peter 1843
Eliza 1844 married Thomas DUNNE 1873 three possible children

There was also a Kathleen in there somewhere as well, who married a TABOR.

Anyone come across this family in their research.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 10kmax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NOLAN from The Bawn, Kilmeague
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 11 14:52 BST (UK) »
Ian,

I was looking up on a Google search "Lawler Kilmeague" and found your posting on this website. I have done a small bit of research into my family and what you have found about the Nolan's of Kilmeague is very interesting. It turns out that the eldest girl of the Nolan's (or Nowlan), Teresa Nowlan, married my Great Great Grand father, John Lawler! I recently found their marriage certificate on Rootsireland.ie website. The marraige was dated 18-May-1843. The cert showed that they were married in Kilmeague, hence the google search. If you know anybody who is interested in the Lawler family from that point on I can certainly fill in the blanks. If you know anybody with information on the Lawlers before that date even better.

Or if you have any further information on the Nolan's in the southern or northern hemisphere then please send on a message!

Thanks

John Lawler

Offline cyril walsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
hello ian.
i live in the village of kilmeague, so if i can help you in any way dont hesitate to ask.
a little snippet that might be of relevance to you.
the local landlord around here in the 1800s, was a sir richard aylmer.
he was supposed to have been a very decent landlord.
so he decided to build a tower on the hill of allen, called locally as aylmers folly.
and there were 3 nowlans on the building of it.
edward and mathew from grangehiggin, and a peter nowlan from kilmeague.
i think they could be related to you.
i have a book on the parish of allen and kilmeague.
so if you want any further info let me know.
best wishes
cyril walsh
MAYO walsh, groonell, connolly, hennelly, reany,
KILDARE jacob, callan, byrne, herbert, duggan, mcgrath, danagher, farrell, mc evoy, ward, o brien.
WESTMEATH nolan, deegan, duggan berry, tiernan, mccormack,duffy,murray.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 05:24 BST (UK) »
Ian,

I was looking up on a Google search "Lawler Kilmeague" and found your posting on this website. I have done a small bit of research into my family and what you have found about the Nolan's of Kilmeague is very interesting. It turns out that the eldest girl of the Nolan's (or Nowlan), Teresa Nowlan, married my Great Great Grand father, John Lawler! I recently found their marriage certificate on Rootsireland.ie website. The marraige was dated 18-May-1843. The cert showed that they were married in Kilmeague, hence the google search. If you know anybody who is interested in the Lawler family from that point on I can certainly fill in the blanks. If you know anybody with information on the Lawlers before that date even better.

Or if you have any further information on the Nolan's in the southern or northern hemisphere then please send on a message!

Thanks

John Lawler

John

Thanks for getting in touch. Richard NOLAN's eldest daughter here in New Zealand was named Theresa, and she was my great-grandmother. Joseph in Australia also had a daughter Theresa as well.

Anything you can provide on the LAWLER descendants of John and Theresa would be much appreciated. Do you have any photographs of them. I do have a couple of photos taken of the Bawn in the 1880s, with the mother and the sons that stayed behind and Mary O'CONNOR in them. I think the house from then has been replaced.

I can provide info about the NZ and some of the Australian side, including some photos.

If you reply to this message, you will then have three posts and can contact me by Personal Message where we can exchange email addresses, and make direct contact.

Ian C

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 05:29 BST (UK) »
Cyril

Thanks for getting in touch.

I had heard of the Aylmer family. I think they sponsored Richard and his brother to come out here. Will have to check with an elderly cousin, who knows about that.

As I said to John, I have a couple of photos of the Bawn taken in the 1880s, and would be keen on anything taken today. I understand the old house has been replaced.

One thing I have been trying to find out is a bit more on the birth, death and marriage information of the family, but this info is a bit difficult to get from Down Under.

Ian C

Offline 10kmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
Ian,

I have a family register which states the members of the Lawler family (John Lawler & Teresa Nowlan / Nolan) married May 18th 1843 in Kilmeague / Allen RC Parish. According to the register and verified with rootsireland.ie, they had 10 children - Mary, Peter, Eugene, Kathleen, Bridget, Michael, Elizabeth, Joseph, Annie and Josephine Teresa. Unfortunately Joseph, Bridget and Michael died young, all dying within the space of 2 months in 1862 from Diphtheria. Teresa nee Nolan, their mother died a few years later on April 30th 1865 aged 41 years. I don't have a death cert for her as yet but am working on it. She is buried in our local cemetery in the Lawler family plot.

Do get in contact so that I can pass on more information to you. Unfortunately I am unable to find photographs of these generations with the first photographs only appearing in the early 1910's / 1920's believe it or not. But I am still trying to find out more.

Regards,
John

Offline cyril walsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
hello again john,
just wondering did you ever try the familysearch site, loads of nolans from kilmeage on there.
also another site that you might some info from is griffiths valuation.
both these sites are free.
best wishes as always,
cyril
MAYO walsh, groonell, connolly, hennelly, reany,
KILDARE jacob, callan, byrne, herbert, duggan, mcgrath, danagher, farrell, mc evoy, ward, o brien.
WESTMEATH nolan, deegan, duggan berry, tiernan, mccormack,duffy,murray.

Offline Duibhne1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hallow John, Ian and Cyril,
My great great grandparents wereTeresa Nolan and John Lawler. l would be very interested in sharing the information l have with you. One person who may be of interest to you, is Jim Stynes a Dublin boy who went to Australia and became a famous footballer. He died a few years ago from cancer. Jim's grandfather was Peter Stynes. Peter Stynes mother was Annie Lawler daughter of Teresa Nolan and John Lawler.

I am having computer problems at the moment working from my smartphone. Emer a cousin sent me a print out of a family tree her husband came across. Some of it makes sense, but a lot of it doesn't. It has John Lawlers parents as Patrick Lawler and Elizabeth. I know that John Lawlers parents are Owen Lawler mother Catherine. Going back a further two generations the surname Lumley comes up. Emer tells me Lumley is definitely a family name. Can anyone through some light on the story. Looking forward to hearing from you and sharing what l have.
So Long,
Duibhne