5 (6.8%)
Not Bad
15 (20.5%)
Wont be watching it again
22 (30.1%)
Or maybe I will
6 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Gene Detectives  (Read 14963 times)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: Gene Detectives
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Guy, we could go around in circles here ad infinitum. :)

As you will recall, I formed a sense of what the show was after watching the last twenty mins of one programme, and made a post on another forum asking was this what I thought it was? You kindly pointed out it wasn't.  I reserved judgement until I watched another, but found it so distasteful after 20 mins that I switched it off, as I now realised it was what I thought it was.

My various points regarding why I believe it to be unethical production practice are outlined earlier, so I won't go over it again, but you are welcome to read them again if you so desire.  And again, my points on padding relate to the unnecessary nature of that padding, and the repetitive nature of it from programme to programme - in essence I believe the format was flawed, you don't. That doesn't make your opinion any more 'right' than it does mine, but when I gave my opinion Guy it was because I certainly do know about padding television programmes. I have personally padded out many programmes with the best of them, but always kept it relevant to the task at hand.

As for your point that the padding makes the end meeting more successful? If adoption agencies had only known about these methods years ago, I am sure they would have adopted them themselves! That is quite an extraordinary claim, and one which I have only heard from your good self, so I am guessing that that was equally just an opinion that you have, and not hardened fact.

"It is absurd to suggest that people's votes have not been influenced by the postings as they certainly have." You are a pollster now?? :)

Regarding the poll question - I agree with you in one regard, as I found the last option a bit odd - "Or maybe I will" - as that seems to be a secondary comment that should be made after a first opinion has been formed, but we only get one vote. But I would suggest that it is statistically as valid as your own scientific poll, where you counted how many people on another forum actually bothered to make a comment. Did you manage to read the Digital Spy threads, by the way? Fascinating reading, and as I have not posted on there, certainly not influenced by my comments, though I am sure by your reckoning that those posters will have had equally flawed motives.

I'm happy to keep dancing with you on this as long as you like Guy!

Cheers again,

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 13:52 GMT (UK) »

As for your point that the padding makes the end meeting more successful? If adoption agencies had only known about these methods years ago, I am sure they would have adopted them themselves! That is quite an extraordinary claim, and one which I have only heard from your good self, so I am guessing that that was equally just an opinion that you have, and not hardened fact.

Cheers again,

Chris

They do the difference is adoption agencies use other forms of contact to acclimatise people to each other. They use for instance counselling (as does the show) but also contact in the form of exchanges of letter & photographs (at first through the agency as intermediary, they also use controlled meetings etc. etc. .
As far as I am aware no adoption agency would give either party the other's address and let them get on with it.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Well of course they do Guy - I meant that they don't start taking DNA tests on the two waiting in adjacent rooms to see each other, or start to facially profile them to give them time to get used to each other! :) I may be mistaken...

I think we should draw a line under it Guy - we really don't agree on the merits of this show, which is fair enough, but we have both pretty much expressed and explored our views without coming to a meeting of minds. I'm not sure where else there is to go with it...! :)

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »

The series has now finished and it has been interesting to see other ideas for a entertaining TV show.

I am now locking this topic.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk