Author Topic: What software should I Use?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
What software should I Use?
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I Have got  all these bits of paper and cetificates. I think it's time to whack tem into a database. I've seen  so many different brands by doing a search on google, I don't knnow where to start. To make things more confusing I have both windows XP and a Macintosh OS X So any suggestions whould be appreciated. :)
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What software should I Use?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deadants

That's one of THE questions's.

Have alook at this topic http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=18195.0 it might help you or confuse you even more  :)

I think one of the biggest factors that most people consider is the format that it can produce printed trees.  Apart from cost and ease of use the other top consideration for many is how well it produces a web site/page.

I still do not use any software, as cannot find one that I am happy with (you can get free demo's on a lot of them). The latest one I tried was TMG The Master Genealogist, which I must say is probably the best I have tried, it seems to do almost everything I want and also looks like they improve it based upon feedback. My only critisim is that I found it quite time consuming to get to grips with (and I work in IT).

My advise is try a few out, get the free Demo's and have a play.

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 13:20 GMT (UK) »
On computer shopper this month is a 50 person limited version of Family Historian,  unlike the demo version you can enter and save and print,  as long as you have less than 50 people.  Also if you don't like the program the data will be in GEDCOM format,  (the standard format for sharing data), so you can load the data into any other program you want to try.

(Does not do web sites, but in my experience the best web sites are generated on the fly using programs like phpgedview, rather than pages and pages of static data).
Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 21:48 GMT (UK) »
[Have alook at this topic http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=18195.0 it might help you or confuse you even more  :)

Thanks for the link. It looks like this subject is getting quite a bit of an airing, So I will get a few demos and try them out. I think I'll give Reunion 8 for Macintosh a go first, as I tend to favor using the Mac over the PC.

Cheers, deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)