Author Topic: Woottens in Brooklyn  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Nautilus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Woottens in Brooklyn
« on: Thursday 15 February 07 10:26 GMT (UK) »
According to family legend my great grandfather  Ernest Wootten ran off" to America with the Floozie from down the road". this seems to be true as I have evidence of him in London until 1910 when he vanishes. I have now got him in the US censuses of 1920 & 1930 living in Kings, Brooklyn New York with a Caroline Wootten & 2 young sons. His year of entry to the States is given as 1911 & 1912 which fits.

So how can I find if he divorced his wife Juli at home, did he marry Caroline, why can't I find his immigration records & how do i trace the family forward in time?  Sorry for all the questions but its the first time I've had to look for anyone across the pond but particularly interesting as there are potential new cousins out there!
Chris

Glam - Lyons Hennesy
Pembs - John
Soms - Bailey Tanner
Devon - Rowe Stoneman
Middx - Gough Drasey Wootten Rundle Lugg Morris
Kent - Newington Lambkin
New York - Wootten

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Woottens in Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 07 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Nautilus,

First, welcome to Rootschat. I am sure you will enjoy it here.

I have had a look around the Italian Genealogical Group site to starte (http://www.italiangen.org/default.htm). I have found death records for Caroline and Ernest Jr.

Caroline died in Kings County 31 March 1932. The certificate number is 6543.

Ernest Jr. died 24 Dec 1938 in Kings county, cert number 24643.

I think I have found a WW2 Army enlistment for Albert. His enlistment camp is Camp Upton Yaphank and he is living in Queens at the time of enlistment. He has had 3 years of high school and he is married.

I have also found a SS death record for an Albert Wootten, born 7 Jan 1918, died Jan 1975. Oftentimes they tell you where the person died, but this particular record doesn't.

So Albert could have had children, as he was married. Maybe another Rootschatter will have some suggestions. I would start googling and seeing where that gets you, any names you can think to connect.

Let me know if I can do anything else.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Nautilus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 07 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That was a quick response, thanks! I would have never thought of looking on  an Italian immigrant site but it looks useful. I've found the first two deaths on there. Where did you find the information on Albert & do you know if its possible to send for his death certificate? Meanwhile I'll keep Googling!
Chris

Glam - Lyons Hennesy
Pembs - John
Soms - Bailey Tanner
Devon - Rowe Stoneman
Kent - Newington Lambkin
New York - Wootten

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
The problem with this particular record is that they don't say where Albert died. He got his SSnumber in New York, but I dont know where he died. In the States, it is state by state for ordering. And I think you also need a town, which makes it even harder. I am surprised this doesn't say it, as most do.

Kath
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline Nautilus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 07 16:06 GMT (UK) »
What a shame lets hop I get some more clues elsewhere. Where did you find his death & WW" records?
Chris

Glam - Lyons Hennesy
Pembs - John
Soms - Bailey Tanner
Devon - Rowe Stoneman
Kent - Newington Lambkin
New York - Wootten

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 07 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I found the info on Ancestry. The SSdeath index you can also find on the LDS site.

Kath

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Nautilus,

One thought would be to order Caroline's death record (Kath has provided the certificate number).  The death record should tell you where Caroline was buried and also the funeral home.  Then you could write to the cemetery and ask for information on Caroline as well as 1) anyone else buried with her, including Ernest (Sr?), and 2) anyone named Wootten buried in that cemetery.

(I can't tell if Ernest Jr. was their son or if that was Ernest's name.  If it is the Ernest who left England, then I'd order that one instead of Caroline's.)

If the cemetery has Ernest's date of death, you can request a look-up of his obituary; this should list his children.  Ditto for Caroline's obit, once you have her date of death.

You could also write to the funeral home for any information that they might have on file.

Caroline's death record should list her maiden name.  This would help you look for a marriage record.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 07 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Great Josephine. The Ernest Jr. would be the son, as he was born in 1918. I wish there had been more on this Albert's death. That obit would be the key, to give you his kids names, and maybe make contact.

Good luck.

Kath

Offline Nautilus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 February 07 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that's a great idea. I hadn't realised I could get funeral home or cemetry details froma death certificate. I had thought Caroline & Ernest Jr deaths were too early to be useful.  Does everyone in the US have an obituary & who keeps them. I noticed there was an index in Ancestry but none of my Woottens appeared in it.

Also, as I now have Alberts SS number would that help me in any way? Finally am I likely to be able to find details of his discharge from the army after the war & would that give me an address?

Chris
Chris

Glam - Lyons Hennesy
Pembs - John
Soms - Bailey Tanner
Devon - Rowe Stoneman
Kent - Newington Lambkin
New York - Wootten