Author Topic: Burke's Peerage Book- How good?  (Read 834 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Burke's Peerage Book- How good?
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I am not one to trace my ancestors to the first famous person but as luck would have it, it seems to be that a branch in my tree is traced back to William the Conqueror.  I only say this as Burke's Peerage of Landed English Gentry has this as a listing for this line along with the Magna Carta and others of the like.  I am so hesitant to take this as so.  Resource books say this family is well traced to the 1100's and some back to the 900's.  How good are these resource books that trace nobility?  Should I take them as truth?  How do they know this information?  I do not want to start down the wrong path.
- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burke's Peerage Book- How good?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristin,

A tricky question.  I too can link my family tree to long pedigrees going back to that time, found in Burke's Peerages and the like.  I have heard that some editions of Burke's can be unreliable (late 19th century to name one).  On the other hand I have also heard that much of the information is/was provided by the families themselves and so one would hope that it was less suspect.

I took a copy of the appropriate pages and where possible I verified it with parish records etc (this is for the last four hundred years or so).  Before that it becomes more difficult and maybe the best thing to do - unless you are able to spend hours delving into lots of medieval records, probably written in Latin in a cramped clerical hand - is put it down to "maybe linked...".  I also check out other printed sources, note all information but only feel inclined to accept those facts taken from original records rather than hearsay. I'll keep an eye open for anything that might be of interest on the people concerned but there are plenty of other things that need proving first.  I reckon they'll keep me going for ages yet! ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk