Author Topic: Hickes, Henry - Berkeley lookup  (Read 1213 times)

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hickes, Henry - Berkeley lookup
« on: Saturday 17 February 07 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for information on Henry Hickes bapt 7 May 1751 at Berkeley, son of Nicholas and Elizabeth Hickes, brother to Thomas, Sarah, Anne, Fanny, John and George Hickes.  I have burial dates for other members of the family but cannot find anything on Henry.

I am a decendant of Thomas, but I'm also try to find a connection between my family and the Candian Hickes whose ancestor was Henry William Hickes born Paddinton 1833 and married in Bristol 1858 to Harriet Weaver.  He was the son of Henry Hickes - Physican but I can't find anything on this Henry either, I thought perhaps my Henry might be grandfather to Henry William.

If anyone is able to shed some light on any of the Henrys I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks Kath
Swepson - Australia, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire
Papworth - Huntingdonshire
Fitzpatrick - Australia, Derravona Co Cavan, Ireland
Hennessey - Mullinahone, Co Tipperary, Ireland
Hickes - Fiji, Cornwall, Glocestershire
Foster - Fiji, Samoa, Germany

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hickes, Henry - Berkeley lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Any use to you for your records

Inscription inside St Mary Church, Berkeley

Nicholas HICKES, Esq 9 Mar 1798, 75
Elizabeth, w, 1 Nov 1799, 77

Susannah, w/o Thomas HICKES,
Of this town 26 April 1847, *8
Thomas HICKES, 15 July 1842, 92

In the churchyard

John Cox HICKES, Town Surgeon, 8 Feb 1848, 20
Mary, wife, 30 Jun 1866, 63
John Cox HICKS, Surgeon, 21 Feb 1870, 72
Susan Anne, daughter, 14 Jul 1834 - 18 Dec 1884

Alf

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alf

Thank you for info on Nicholas and Elizabeth - I only had their names and no dates!  I also didn't realise there were 2 John Cox Hickes' either!  I found a website that had inscriptions from the church and this gave me a great deal of info on the family, it was created by an Alf Beard and others - is that you? 

All of these people are part of my family including Lieut Frederick and his 2 sons with tablets on the south wall inside the church, his father is Thomas who I mentioned in my 1st posting.  Thomas had a son Henry who was born in Stone and buried in Berkeley aged abt 14, but this is the only Henry I can find.  Thomas' brother Henry is still eluding me!

Thanks again Alf

Kath

I had another look at those inscriptions and did indeed find the info you posted, I was so excited to find the info on Frederick and sons I missed the others!  I am always cautious in claiming some of the Hickes' in this area as there were 2 families of Thomas Hickes with similar details and many of the same names in each family.  My family are from Stone and Berkeley and the other family are from Pedington although it is possible there is a connection further back.

K

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi K

Small World isn't it.

Yes I am that Alf and I was born and bred in the town land of Hystfield. I was  actually born in Charity Cottage, Charity Lane. the house is now a pile of rubble. Now you may asked yourself where's that. It is half a mile up the lane for Peddington or as the locals call it Peddington Elm. I went to Stone school many many years ago. Who used to live at Peddington ? and how can I help you with your family

Regards
Alf

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf

Goodness me you have done a lot of work on famiy history.  I have noticed a link from the original page of St Marys churchyard to other cemetries in the area and am systematically checking each of these to see if I can find anything else on my family.  I see your name listed in the others I have looked at so far.

As I mentioned, my ancestor was Thomas Hickes (son of Nicholas and Elizabeth) from Berkeley and Stone but there is another Thomas Hickes and family who lived in Peddington during the same time.  It is very possible that the families are connected but as I haven't yet found the link I can't be certain of that. 

It would seem that the family have been naming their sons the same names for generations and this still continues today!!  We had a family reunion six months ago and I can tell you it was very confusing as there were so many Thomas', Georges, Fredericks, Johns, Edwards and Williams it made my head swim!

I am researching from Australia so the info you have posted online has been invaluable.  Thank you on behalf of all reseachers outside of the UK, we would never be able to find interesting details on our families without sites like these. 

However, to date the Henry Hickes' have eluded me, just like Fredericks details until I found the site to St Marys and I realised why I couldn't find anything in England - he had been fighting in India for 40 years!

Regards Kath

Offline Joburg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You might find some help in 'Scribes Alcove' if you have not already done so.
Just pop it in Google.

Regards

Joburg
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline talkingdrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joburg

Thanks for your reply, I have already worked that one dry as this is where I got most of the family details from!

Regards Kath