Author Topic: Help Pls - Peirce/Pierce - Bridgwater  (Read 1936 times)

Offline bridgy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Pls - Peirce/Pierce - Bridgwater
« on: Saturday 17 February 07 12:40 GMT (UK) »
:) ;)
Hello all
Was wondering if anyone is/was related to the Pierce/Peirce family from Bridgewater in Somerset. Thomas Edwin PEIRCE (b 1828) married  Sarah BARNETT (b 1835, Hampshire) in Brisbane, Australia in 1853 and I can't find when either of these people left Somerset and Hampshire to come out to Australia. Believe Thomas' father was William PEIRCE who married Anna Maria TUTTON. Sarah Barnett could have had father Benjamin mother Emily SULLIVAN.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards from Oz.

PS  Have now received a great deal of info on Sarah BARNETT which was very appreciated.  Still looking for the Peirce/Pierce side.
Thanks
Jan
Rossiter, Waldron (Kildare), Kelly, Cox, Dollar (Co Armagh), Bridges, Bennett, Hodgson (Bedfordshire), Roberts (Liverpool), Peirce, Tutton (Somerset), Goodwin, Tomlinson (Lancashire), Lovell ( Midlothian)
Rossiter, Kelly, Bridges, Roberts, Goodwin (Australia)

Offline TimNut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help Pls - Peirce/Pierce - Bridgwater
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 December 15 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I am descended from William Elstone Peirce, Thomas Edwin Peirce's half brother (to William Peirce's second wife, Susannah Elstone).

Thomas' niece, Ellen Augusta Peirce, emigrated to Brisbane also, arriving 3 June 1885 aboard the "Chyebassa". She met and married Edwin James Jenkins in 1886. I am Ellen's Great Great Granddaughter.

Thomas' nephew Rollo Claude Peirce also emigrated to Brisbane, arriving 3 February 1886.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find any further information on when/how Thomas Edwin Peirce arrived in Australia. Have you had any further luck since this posting??

Kind regards

Timna (Brisbane)
GREEN: Forest of Dean; Stroud
RUDHALL: Birmingham
SANDERS: Paddington
HORSLEY: Penrith
LOVELY & CHAPMAN: Norfolk/Suffolk
SYMONS & PEIRCE: Somerset
JENKINS: Berkshire

Offline Peal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 01:59 GMT (UK) »
This is a very old post, but following up from the original post (Jan) who was my mother I'm guessing - guessing because Mum passed away this year (aged 98) & I never knew she was posting on RootsChat.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has determined how Thomas Edwin Peirce got to Brisbane.

Family story is that Thomas Edwin Peirce was a crewman on Agricola & jumped ship. Future wife Sarah Barnett was passenger. Agricola arrived in Brisbane on 26th Feb 1853.

Regards
Richard (Brisbane)
Peirce, Bridgwater, Somerset
Porter, London
Sim, Queensland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, welcome to Rootschat.

THOMAS EDWIN Pearce Bapt 24 Aug 1828, St Mary, Bridgwater
Parents WILLIAM/ANN MARIA
Also indexed under  PRAICE. Extra info on that one says Father William was a Boat Builder

Siblings Bapts have Mother as just Maria or just Ann;

William Married 26 Dec 1817 and 02 May 1830   

Above on FreeREG
You may need to use the soundex option and spelling of surname varies

1841 Census
William Pierce   50 Boat Builder
Susan Pierce   40
Sarah Pierce   15
John Pierce   20
THOMAS Pierce   10*******
William Pierce   10
George Pierce   5
Elizabeth Watley 50

Sorry cant see a passenger/crew list for the Arigola.

Someone else may be able to help.

Do you have his 1919 Death Cert?

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »

Sorry cant see a passenger/crew list for the Arigola.

Searching Queensland, Australia, Passenger Lists, 1848-1912 I could only find (no image)

Sarah Barnett Age:   17
Place of Origin:   Hampshire, England
Ship Name:   Agricola
Port of Arrival:   Brisbane
Arrival Date:   2 Mar 1853

Posting this as he has same name

Thos Edwin Pierce Age:   16
Registration or Indenture Date:   4 Jan 1845
Date of Enrolment of Indenture: 4 Jan 1845 ,
Term bound: 4
Indenture expiries: 2 Jan 1849
Name and res. of parties to whom bound: Thos Watson, Bagelot, Langport    
Vessel in which Apprentice is to Service: Lord Canterbury 599
Number of Register Ticket 131688 (written outside of the column next to this number
deserted trd? 21/7/46
Remarks: Bridgwater
UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 20 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish & Ladyhawk,

I do have his death certificate. Unfortunately doesn't have his parents names filled in. Confirms Bridgwater as his birth place & wife's name. I found the image of the passenger list, but no details of the crew except the Captain (from memory).
Thanks very much for the apprentice service link. Looks like the correct Thomas Edwin. Is the original image online? I'll try Ancestory.com as I have access via the library. Would be good if it has his father listed.
Porter, London
Sim, Queensland

Offline Peal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 20 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Found the image of the Apprentice Service record. Seems a lot of apprentices deserted! He lasted about 16 months. He looks like our Thomas Edwin - age & birth location are correct anyway. Needs more research to confirm I guess.
Porter, London
Sim, Queensland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 20 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I dont think you need to research him more.

I gave you his Bapt/Census etc and crew record is the same man.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline TimNut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 24 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,
You may have already found this via Trove searching, but I stumbled across an article in "The Moreton Bay Courier" from 14 May 1853 (link: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3716294).

"Harbouring a Runaway Seaman"
On Thursday John Baxter, lessee of the North and South Brisbane ferry, was charged at the Police Office, on the information of Captain Bell, of the barque Agricola, with having harboured and employed one Pierce, a seaman absent without leave from that ship.

It was proved that Pierce was pulling in the ferry boat when Captain Bell crossed the river, and that he received the fare from the latter. Defendant alleged that Pierce had stated himself to be a discharged seaman from the ship, in want of employment, but as he had not his discharge ticket, defendant refused to employ him permanently until he obtained it, which he said that he could do when the Captain came to town.

In the meantime he was only temporarily acting as a ferryman. The Bench, however, in the ab-
sence of evidence to this effect, held the charge to be proved, and inflicted the lowest penalty, namely £10 and costs ; in default of payment, defendant to be imprisoned for two months. One half the fine was payable to Captain Bell, who requested that it might be handed over to the Hospital. Under all the circumstances, particularly considering the absence of all secracy on the part of the defendant in employing the man, it appears to us that he is more likely to have been guilty of a
want of due precaution than a knowledge of the seaman's condition ; and although the Bench had
no discretion but to convict and sentence, it is a case which might be considered deserving of the
Governor's mercy.......
GREEN: Forest of Dean; Stroud
RUDHALL: Birmingham
SANDERS: Paddington
HORSLEY: Penrith
LOVELY & CHAPMAN: Norfolk/Suffolk
SYMONS & PEIRCE: Somerset
JENKINS: Berkshire