Author Topic: Sophia Brown - b.Kings Lynn abt.1800  (Read 2051 times)

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sophia Brown - b.Kings Lynn abt.1800
« on: Saturday 17 February 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
hI,

I have just got one line of my family back to Sophia Brown b. abt. 1800 Kings Lynn, Norfolk. She later married John Low of Laxfield, Suffolk and had a family in Cambridge. Does anyone know of any records from Kings Lynn that would help me to research her further?

Many thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Brown - b.Kings Lynn abt.1800
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 07 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nikki

there are the usual Parish Registers but with the Lynn Parishes, there are a lot of people baptised every year.

With a name like Brown, your job is made all the more difficult.

Do you know when she married?  Who were the witnesses? Any clues to siblings?

One way to tie up children and parents is to look at wills, there are several Brown/e wills for King's Lynn.  It is a long job, but one that can pay dividends.

Best of luck.

Teddy

;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

It may be nothing, but one of my ancestors, Sophia Brown, was born in Gressenhall in c1807, but married in Lynn in 1829, to William Barrett.

Possibly a connection?

Paul.
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 07 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

I can see no Sophia Brown baptised in the Gressenhall, Beetley or Longham registers around 1807 but I have not checked any non-conformist registers and the other thing to realise is that she could have been baptised in the Workhouse.  If a child was born in the workhouse in Gressenhall, they were often baptised in their own parish when they went home, if they did go home.

Fate is a funny thing, I am sitting in Gressenhall at the moment!

Best of luck.

Teddy
 ;)

Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.