Author Topic: Look Up  (Read 2449 times)

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look Up
« on: Saturday 17 February 07 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Have a Tourquay Devonshire look up  Charles Blenman born Dec 18 1859 Like to find his family mother father etc  any help appreciated. al b
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
There is no Charles Blenman born in Torquay on any census as far as I can see.

There is no corresponding birth entry in the GRO index - the closest I can see is a Charles BLINMAN, b. Clifton, Jun Q 1860.

???

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rambler  This fellow migrated to US in 1895 trying to find a connection between him and my grandfather All I have is his birthdate and place could be wrong  ::) Alan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 07 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you located a likely suspect in 1881?

In 1891 I can see 2 Charles Blenmans:

A "Boy Under Training" b. c1876, Chiswick, on the Arethusa at Dartford.

A painter and grainer b. c1848 Middlesex, married to Louisa, living in Ealing with 6 children.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rambler  You are on my family track The boy in training is my grandpas brother  The painter is grandpas father. This other fellow I am trying to connect him to our family. They say he sailed arround south hampton non stop to sanfrancisco ca. 1895 trying to figure if this is the same boy under training as he vanished 1901 census.  ??? ??? Alan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I found an internet reference to the round-the-Horn sailor/lawyer, but can't match the info to any BMD or census.  ???

If his birth name was Charles Blenman, his birth wasn't registered in Torquay at any date, and there are no Blenmans in Torquay on any census.

If he was born in Dec 1859, his birth wasn't registered as Charles Blenman (or spelling variations) anywhere in England/Wales.

??? ???

The "boy in training" is quite a lot younger than the supposed age of the guy who went to the US, and although he might fit the sailing part of the story, I would have expected to find him as a student at age 15 if he was going to enter the legal profession.  And of course, a sailor could easily be missing from a later census, so it's difficult to draw any conclusions from that.

Which unfortunately gets us nowhere!  I'll have to think about this one - will post again if I come up with anything.

Rambler  ;)

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 14:11 GMT (UK) »
No Blenman or similar anywhere in my Torquay databases
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello  First thanks to all A lot of these old boys probably werent completly truthful on place of birth. My great grandad saib he was born Bath Sommerset no record of him ever being there. Could be the old boy never went to law school might have had a good line  ;D  Alan