Author Topic: Morgan/Meredith Forest of Dean  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Morgan/Meredith Forest of Dean
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 15:48 GMT (UK) »
My Morgans are all in the Forest of Dean where folk are registered as Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire or even Herefordshire.
They start with John Morgan b. about 1715 East Dean. His daughter Elizabeth b. 23 Mar 1741, East Dean, m. George Meredith on 31 Jan 1760.
Their son William Meredith m. Sarah Morgan b.1781 at Flaxley and m. at Flaxley 20 July 1802.
So the Morgans come in twice in 3 generations.

I would love any confirming data on the above.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kapajoy51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan/Meredith Forest of Dean
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have found this on the Ancestral file,

Husband's Name
 John MORGAN 

Born:  Abt. 1715  Place:  <, Little Dean, Gloucester, England>

Father:   
 Mother:

Wife's Name
 Ann 

Born:  Abt. 1719  Place:  <, Little Dean, Gloucester, England>

Father:   
 Mother:   

Children

1.  Sex  Name 
 F  Elizabeth MORGAN   

Born:  1741   Place:  <Little Dean, Gloucs, Eng> 
 Christened:  23 Mar 1741   Place:  , Little Dean, Gloucester, England 
Cairns, Gale, Hawes, Holyoake, Joynes, Major, Moss, Portlock, Turner, Wilkins, Young

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 04 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kapajoy - those are the same folks and dates as I started with but if you come up with any new data I will be hugely thankful 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 04 22:45 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit cheeky, as it is a question rather than an answer, but my Trevethin Morgans are said to have come from the Forest of Dean and there is a story that they once owned the speech house.  Any views/ info ? and do yours have any such romantic aspirations?

Arranroots  8)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 04 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots - I think my Morgans were too poor to own anything much. I read somewhere that the Speech House was renovated about 1918 for a Mr Morgan to occupy. Some expert on the Forest of Dean would know for sure.

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 December 04 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hack Have you been to the forest ??
         I could if you have any idea which church as i could see if any graves survive !! :)
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 December 04 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Mr. G - thank you for that offer - I can't get around very much these days. I will look into that and certainly post you when I can sort my records out on that. They are all around East Dean and English Bicknor anyway and the names are Southern, Southen and Sowthan. The total period they were there begins about 1820 as before that their roots were in Herefordshire. :)

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 December 04 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Yep Just let me know and i will see wot i can do  :D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Alvin James Meredith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 December 21 22:29 GMT (UK) »
These replies are from 2016 and I am not sure if any one is active here anymore. THese Morgans are my 5th Great Grandmother on my dad's side. Morgan/Meredith. Elizabeth Morgan Is my 5th Great Grandfather. As for as I can tell, the Meredith's have lived in Little Dean, Shropshire for a long time. I am trying to find the prior town or Nation they came from prior of Shropshire. I belong to many Welsh Kings, but, on my Dad's Mom side. She was, being a descendant of Meredith's herself. Kissing Distant Cousins Parents, ewww.

https://www.geni.com/people/Elizabeth-Morgan/6000000009668381849
and me-
https://www.geni.com/people/Alvin-James-Meredith-Premus/6000000000783436235
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/G78K-JMS
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LJGD-4VG

I listed just two platforms that have my 5th Great Grandmother Elizabeth Morgan/Meredith of Littledean Hall, Littledean, Forest of Dean, West Gloucestershire, England.

Elizabeth Morgan is your fifth great-grandmother.
You
  → Alvin Dean Meredith, Sr.
your father → Neal Merritt Meredith
his father → Edward Assel Meredith
his father → Richard A. Meredith
his father → Richard Meredith
his father → James Meredith
his father → Elizabeth Morgan
his mother