Author Topic: Trade Directory 1841 Elgin  (Read 3447 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trade Directory 1841 Elgin
« on: Sunday 18 February 07 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I have just found an ancestor in the 1841 Census through Free Cen.

It is Piece SCT1841/135 Enumeration District 3.

Jean/Jane Williamson (nee Alexander) was 25 on the census and was down as an Inn Keeper and their address was Nicholson's Close, Elgin.

Could anybody tell me where Nicholson's Close was and if it still exists.  Also which Inn was Jean/Jane involved with. Was it usual for a female to be an Inn Keeper in that day unless the Inn had been in the family.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks
Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Directory 1841 Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 07 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Could anybody tell me where Nicholson's Close was and if it still exists.

Looking through the rest of the same enumeration district, the enumerator has started in School Wynd, which is now called Commerce Street, then turned left and worked his way westwards along the north side of the High Street, including eight closes opening off the High Street, then turned left again into Batchen Street, and finally left again into Back Street (now called South Street) to complete the block.

So Nicholson's Close must have been the third close west from the corner of Commerce Street on the north side of the High Street.

The close itself probably still exists, but whether it still contains any of the buildings which were there in 1841 I couldn't say.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for working all that out for me.

I know Elgin from years ago and know where you are.  I wonder when School Wynd changed to Commerce Street.

I found a great map of Elgin 1780 - 1847 John Wood.  You can pan all over the place on it.  I see it quoted a Mr. Nicholson at School Wynd,  I wonder if any connection to Nicholson's Close.

I think it may be the two lanes that run into one and ends up on South Street.  There used to be a Seed Merchants somewhere near where Boots is.   Does anybody remember what that was that called.

Thanks again.

Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 07 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I have in front of me a book called "Elgin - The Story of the High Street and Closes" by Mary Byatt. This book was published by the Moray Society in 2006 ISBN 0-9554734-1-1 (2006) AND 978-0-9554734-1-8 (2007 onwards). Copies are on sale in Elgin Library, Cooper Park, Elgin, or via the Moray online shop when it reopens.

Mrs Byatt writes that "No 78-80, Nicholson's Close, is the first close to the west of Commerce Street. Its square entrance, between two small shops, is part-closed by a plain, unpainted wooden door. Look for the fine wrought ironwork under the lintel above it. The pend is some 30 feet long and leads to a wide close with two houses on the right hand side, each with two storeys. They are divided into flats. Foundations for a new building have been dug beyond them. The ground beyond is derelict and there is no access to South Street. Five families lived here in 1881".

I took a walk along High Street this morning, and noted this close. It is some distance from Commerce Street, and the first of just six closes compared with the eight listed in the 1841 census, so I think the first two must have disappeared entirely.

Incidentally I see that I wrote that it was the north side of the High Street. This is wrong. It is the north side of the enumeration district, but it is the south side of the High Street.

Incidentally none of the closes now bears the same name as they did in 1841.

The seed merchant near Boots was a bit further west than Nicholson's Close. It was called Bannerman's.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 07 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that reply.

I had read in the Northern Scott last year about the book on Closes that you mention.  I had meant to take a note of it and see if I could order it but the paper got thrown out and I had forgotten about it until this query came up.  I am always about a month late in reading the Northern Scott as we get it from someone else.

I thought I would remember the seed merchants name but I am afraid Bannerman does not mean anything.

Thanks for your time on this query.

I will see if I can order a copy of the book through our local book shop.  If not I will get in touch with Elgin Library.

Thanks
Betty 

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 07 08:51 GMT (UK) »
The name of the seed merchants I was thinking of was Morrisons.  Bannermans may have been earlier .

Thanks again

Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 07 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Ah, yes, I was thinking of the proprietor's name.