Author Topic: Thomas & Elizabeth Gollop - 18th Century  (Read 3003 times)

Offline StephenP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stephen J F Plowman
    • View Profile
Thomas & Elizabeth Gollop - 18th Century
« on: Sunday 18 February 07 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find details of the family of an Elizabeth Gollop.

Such details as I have are:

·   Married Rev John Plowman, 7 Nov. 1776 at Toller Pocorum . She was described as a spinster of Holy Trinity, Dorchester.
The marriage was witnessed by Eliza Maria Foy & Thomas Gollop.
·   She died around 1808.  She appears in the Records of the Boards of Stamps, Taxes, Excise, Stamps and Taxes, and Inland Revenue
·   She had a brother Thomas who died in 1824.  His will describes himself as “late of Weymouth son of Thomas and Elizabeth Gollop…”.

The proving of Thomas’ will was very interesting.  The will itself was very short, leaving everything to his wife and no one else mentioned.  However, the Vicar and a neighbour appeared at the time of proving the will along with the widow.  Their statements were about four times longer than the will!  The Vicar's statement was all to do with an amendment made to the will after it was witnessed - Thomas' personal effects had been forgotten.  The neighbour's was to the effect that the deceased had said "Tom Plowman will never get anything of mine.  I'd rather give it all to the poor".  She thought he was referring Thomas Plowman, the deceased's nephew and "heir at law out of the next of kin".  Thomas was certainly the eldest child of Elizabeth Plowman (née Gollop). It would appear that their testimony was to no avail and the court ruled that he had died intestate. 

Does anyone know anything about these Gollops?

Yours aye

Stephen
Plowman, Tweedy, Pitman, Oyns, Carver, Cooper, Evans, Pottinger, Goodwin

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Elizabeth Gollop - 18th Century
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Have you searched on www.dorset-opc.com?

There are 25 items under Gollop.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had done so, but I have just turned up this from the Bincombe OPC;

1753 Apr-10; Thomas GOLLOP; of Hamworthy & Elizabeth BAILY of Bincombe; Licence

The brother Thomas died and was buried in Bincombe, so that implies a connection.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Stephen someone else has researched Rev Plowman mention of Elizabeth who was his second wife and their children are on the link below

http://members.fortunecity.com/plowman1/

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Ha just realised this is your site

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 20:53 GMT (UK) »
WL

;D  Not to worry.  Actually it is a very old site of mine that I've not used/updated in years.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
An update some ten years later:

Long story short, I have now found a link from my Elizabeth Gollop (& her brother) back to the family of Gollop of Strode. 

The first hint at a possible connection to the Gollops of Strode was Eliza Maria Foy.  At the beginning of the 18th century, two sons of John Gollop of Strode (mentioned in Burke’s Landed Gentry), John & Thomas, married two Foy sisters, Edith & Mary.  The eldest son, John, inherited Strode and Thomas’s family was not recorded in Burkes.  However, looking at the Foy family there were two Elizas, one was the wife of John & Thomas’ nephew and the other was the nephew’s daughter.

Unfortunately for me, The Dorset Gollops seemed particularly fond of the names of Thomas and Elizabeth.  The upshot was that I could not identify the births of either of “my” Thomas and Elizabeth from the usual sources.

Therefore, I obtained some scanned documents from the Dorset History Centre in respect of Elizabeth's brother Thomas Gollop of Bincombe.  None of the documents made any mention of his sister but they did show that he owned a quarry on the Isle of Portland and that he had various financial “issues” with some Weymouth based lawyers.  Almost as an aside, he did mention the sale of Lowcombe farm in 1795.  I ignored that for a number of years until I found online a copy of John Hutchins’ History of Netherbury & Beminster where it stated that Lowcombe was settled by John Gollop of Strode to his second son, Thomas Gollop of London, from whose grandson, Thomas Gollop of Wyke Regis, it passed to Mr Cox.  I used Dorset History Centre’s online catalogue search for any mention of Lowcombe/Luccomb. I ordered some copies of various Deeds that covered the period 1692 to 1793 that concerned various properties, Lowcombe Farm (also Staverlands, Saunder’s Living and Hogbear) in North Bowood.  Using those documents, it was then possible to follow the transmission of the property from John Gollop of Strode to Thomas Gollop & Mary Foy to their eldest son Thomas and then to Elizabeth’s brother, Thomas Gollop of Bincombe.  The properties were eventually surrendered to cover the various financial liabilities Thomas owed to the Weymouth based lawyers and others.

A sample of the fondness for the name Thomas as per 18th century legalese.

"John Gollop of Dorchester in the County of Dorset Esq son & heir of John Gollop the Elder late of Dorchester aforesaid Mercer deceased, Thomas Gollop the Younger son & heir apparent of the said John Gollop party hereto by Edith his late wife deceased one of the daughters of Walter Foy gent deceased, Thomas Gollop the Elder of the City of London Merchant youngest son of the said John Gollop deceased and Thomas Gollop son & heir apparent of the said Thomas Gollop the Elder party hereto by Mary his wife one of the other daughters of the said Walter Foy Gent..."
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all