Author Topic: Children Of Female And Male Ancestors.  (Read 1206 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Children Of Female And Male Ancestors.
« on: Monday 19 February 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been in touch this morning with someone who runs a Website concening a One Name Study.However to my astonishment,she replied to my query,that once a Female member of their Family marries,she no longer researches them.I replied that whist we all may have different approaches to our Research,I happen to regard equally the marriages and children of female ancestors,to those of male ancestors.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Children Of Female And Male Ancestors.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 13:03 GMT (UK) »
The key is that the person is involved in a One Name study. Once a woman marries, she and the offspring have a different name.
Whilst you may regard them equally, they do not contribute further to that particular line of research.

I follow exactly the same policy with my Edmonds family tree, when a woman marries I do not research her further. To do so would produce something too big to handle under the umbrella of the EDMONDS family story.
Not that I consider her of any less importance! But practically, I have chosen to pursue one line, and to follow all branches as far as possible, so I have a complete picture of all Edmonds, at present from James in early 1700's, to the present day. that's a tree that starts at the top with one person, and gets wider as it goes down.
Others chose to start with themselves at the bottom, and get wider as it goes up, taking in a lot of different surnames, but no following up on siblings or taking each branch back down to the present day again.

As you say it is a matter of choice - lots of different approaches - none of which is right or wrong!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 07 13:38 GMT (UK) »
It's quite understandable for someone doing a one-name study not to follow children of females.  It's a big enough task carrying out a study as is...to have to also research a cornucopia of other surnames would prove too major a task.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 07 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I understand the theory behind this, and maybe that's what I have never taken up this kind of study. I don't think I'd be able to let the others go. Especially as a married female. My brothers would love to get me off their tree.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 07 08:58 GMT (UK) »
My brother made a comment to me when I told him I was doing research on the Simpson name, which was a female line.
He stated something aong the lines of it being so distant from the main line that it wasn't important to him.
My reply was (with an annoyed look on my face ) 'so what you are saying then is that women don't count'?

He shut up!

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 07 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Personally I don't see how any line is less important that another...at the end of the day, they've all contributed to making us and can all be just as interesting.  My one-name studies is different, of course, but for my line (i.e. that where I've connected everything in and can specify a relationship) I can't say that there's any branch that I count as less important than another and all get researched with any luck so that every twig had leaves on it (doesn't always work out ideally, of course, but all lines get fully explored the best I can do).
I do have favourite branches, of course...it's why I started a one-name study in the first place. :P
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I remember being told, when on holiday in Ravenglass, Cumberland many many years ago,, that the aristocratic family that lived there (can't for the life of me remember the name, might have been Pembroke) that the line could continue through the females but that their husbands HAD to take the womans name.

Apparently there were more females than males born through the generations and had it been upto the males the family name would have died out at least twice over.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 February 07 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I suppose a One Name Study means just that.

However, if one takes the example of the current British royal family then exceptions can be made to that rule.

Elizabeth Windsor married Philip Mountbatten but their children have the Windsor surname.  So in certain circumstances the female maiden name passes on to the descendant.  I'm sure there are other exceptions.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk