Author Topic: Surname Interests  (Read 4126 times)

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Surname Interests
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I'd love to hear from anyone researching any of the followings names in Somerset!

Rockett - Wiveliscombe, Bradford on Tone
Lillycrap - Ruishton
Saunders - Taunton
Govett - Wiveliscombe
Gready - Ruishton, West Monkton
Wood - Milverton
Tar - Creech St Michael
Bowers - Old Cleeve

Thank you
tabitha
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline maureen gill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Interests
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 February 05 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tabitha,
My husband's Great grandmother was Mary Ann Lillycrap, born in Staplegrove ,which is a village close to Ruishton.
She had four siblings:
Charlotte,b. 1845, Joseph b. 1849, Emma Jane b. 1853 and Alice b. 1859.
Their parents were Charles and Mary Ann Lillycrap.Charles was a Smith and at one time ran the Staplegrove Inn. Charles was born in Bristol c. 1821.
I found some Lillycraps on the Ruishton and Staplegrove 1841 census which you may be interested in:

RUISHTON 1841

WILLIAM LILLYCRAP , 45 yrs., Blacksmith , born Ruishton
SARAH LILLYCRAP, 30 yrs.,                        , born Ruishton
ELIZABETH LILLYCRAP , 15yrs.                  , born Ruishton.
WILLIAM LILLYCRAP, 10 yrs.,                    , born Ruishton.
MATILDA LILLYCRAP, 9 yrs.,                      , born Ruishton.
THOMAS LILLYCRAP, 7yrs.,                         , born Ruishton.
MARY LILLYCRAP, 6 yrs.,                              , born Ruishton.
ISABELLA BERRY , 4yrs.,   
MARY                    , 65yrs.

STAPLEGROVE 1841

JAMES LILLYCRAP, 25 yrs Smith.
ELIZABETH LILLYCRAP 65 yrs.
CHARLES LILLYCRAP , 20 yrs.

Maureen.

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 February 05 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

Thank you for your reply to my surname interests, wow another Lillycrap!

On the census info you kindly attached I can tell you that James 25 yrs, smith in Staplegrove is my husband's 3xG Grandfather!

The Elizabeth, 65 yrs, I believe is James' mother (she was Elizabeth Tar and married Thomas Lillycrap in 1800).

James married Mary Wood and had two children that I am aware of James born 1845 in Ruishton, he emigrated with his family to New South Wales. The other is Frederick born 1849 in Ruishton (hubby's 2xG Grandfather) who married Matilda Jane Gready in 1871.

I'll send you a personal message (PM) with my email address and if you'd like to chat more about the Lillycraps I'd love to hear from you  ;D

tabitha

Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline efr54321

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 September 08 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I just came across your interest in the name of Lillycrap and your reference to Elizabeth Tar.  I have recently discovered this as a ancestor and have been tying to track her and the Lillycrap family.  At this instant it appears that William, Thomas, and Israel all came up from Devon and settled and married around Taunton 1790-1795 and then spread out with a lot of children.  Elizabeth has me baffled - for the moment.

Like you, I would like to talk about it - preferably off the list.

Bob

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure PM system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline grove27

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 September 08 01:52 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomas Govett, christened 6 August 1775 Wiveliscombe, married Ann Baker Swanger (christened 30 May 1779 Wiveliscombe) in Algate London 6 January 1805. Both later died in Wiveliscombe. They had 8 children between 1806 and 1822 - all in Wiveliscombe

Thomas is the son of Thomas Govett and Elisabeth Rogers (married 1764 Wiveliscombe), Ann the daughter of William Swanger and Ann Baker (married 1771 Wiveliscombe)

I havent gone beyond this with the Govetts as my interest is the Swanger family
Sanger/Swanger/Swainger Mason Luckwell Wheddon Bartlett Stockham Baker Pride Snow Silk Whitfield- Somerset
Myers Slingsby - Yorkshire
Lynch  O'Dea Connell Maher - Limerick
Foley Reddy Mangin Campion - Bennetts Bridge, Kilkenny
Talbot Osbourne- NZ

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 September 08 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

A big welcome to RootsChat.  ;D

Lovely you have found a connection. I am afraid we do not allow email addresses to be posted. We have a secure PM (Personal Message) system we use to relay personal data, but as a new member you will need to make a couple more posts before our secure PM system opens up to you.

All the best........Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Denz76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Tabitha. I’m researching the Rockett surname (my mother’s maiden name). I’ve patched together a tree on Ancestry.com and discovered that my great, great grandmother and her family all came from Wiveliscombe, before she moved to Taunton. I’d be interested to know what info you have.

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Denz,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I am sorry but I spotted that we are unable to get in touch with tabitha at the moment, it looks like she changed email address but did not update us with the details. Old members do get in touch to updated details I hope that will be the case for you too.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk