Author Topic: Logie monumental inscriptions  (Read 8224 times)

Offline kcrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Logie monumental inscriptions
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone be able to help me with the monumental inscriptions for Logie, Perthshire.  I am looking for Macfarlane and Christie burials there.  The family lived at Causewayhead.

Offline BonnieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Logie monumental inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 07 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I can do so, if you let me know names & time periods.

BonnieB
Archibald - Alloa, CLK  ;  Bean - Perthshire, Clackmannan, Stirlingshire  ;  Bowles - Salisbury WIL  ;  Bruce - Tannadice, Angus  ;  Jackson - Wandsworth SRY  ;  Lewis - Slimbridge/Coaley GLO  ;  McLean - Forres, Moray  ;  Mitchell - Tullibody, CLK  ;  Morrison - Torryburn, Fife  ;  Munro - Torryburn, Fife  ;  Nairn - Leuchars, Fife  ;  Stuart - Bute  ;  Whitehead - Dunblane, Perth  ;  Younghusband - Whitehaven, CUL

Offline kcrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BonnyB.  The names are Malcolm Macfarlane who died 1875 at Causewayhead and anything Christie from the same area if that is not too much to ask.   Am particularly interested in John and Helen Christie m.s. Towers.  Are the monumental inscriptions listed as Logie in Perthshire?

Kathy

Offline BonnieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

My husband's family was from Causewayhead - Bean - so it's Logie Parish, Perthshire - now Stirlingshire.

I haven't got Malcolm for that year - could he have been buried at Stirling? Re the Tower/s - there are entries with this surname, but they seem to end in the early 1800's. The last entry is the below.

Died: 31.01.1802   Buried: 02.02.1802  Margaret Tower - Menstrie, Parish Pensioner

As for the Christie & MacFarlane surnames - there are quite a few as those were a popular names around the area.  My list was put together by a good friend & goes up to 2000.
I couldn't see the names that you were particularly interested in, sorry.

Can assist with any others?

BonnieB

Archibald - Alloa, CLK  ;  Bean - Perthshire, Clackmannan, Stirlingshire  ;  Bowles - Salisbury WIL  ;  Bruce - Tannadice, Angus  ;  Jackson - Wandsworth SRY  ;  Lewis - Slimbridge/Coaley GLO  ;  McLean - Forres, Moray  ;  Mitchell - Tullibody, CLK  ;  Morrison - Torryburn, Fife  ;  Munro - Torryburn, Fife  ;  Nairn - Leuchars, Fife  ;  Stuart - Bute  ;  Whitehead - Dunblane, Perth  ;  Younghusband - Whitehaven, CUL

Offline kcrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
BonnieB, Both John and Helen Christie died between 1841 and 1851.  Margaret Christie is probably their daughter.   Possibly Malcolm didn't have a headstone.  Could you please check to see if you can see a John Macfarlane, he was born 1825 but cannot find him after that so he may be deceased by 1841.  Thank you.
kcrow

Offline BonnieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry that I didn't get back to you yesterday. There was nothing on your John & Helen Christie BUT I found the below in:

The Stirling Observer Index of People 1836-1856

Deaths:
Christie, Helen of Stirling
Died at Glasgow 
Paper ref:  06.04.1854    Thursday     Column: 3g

I looked in both the Logie & Stirling Burials that I have.  When are they last mentioned in the records that you've looked in?

BonnieB

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kathy,

The following might be of no use to you whatsoever but I had a wee wander round Logie Churchyard, remembered your post,  and came across the following stones:

"Sacred to the memory of MARY CHRISTIE the wife of William King
Who died on the 6th day of August 1851 aged 39? years
Also of their son PETER who died on the 11th day of June 1847 aged 9 years"

"Sacred to the memory of MARY CHRISTIE wife of Robert Somers
Who died at Causewayhead 21st October 1862 aged 69 years
Also her husband ROBERT SOMERS who died at Gollessie, Fife
On the 26th day of November 1871 aged 67 and was buried here
And WILLIAM MILLER, Farmer, Bridge of Allan, who died at Partick, Glasgow
On the 19th day of May 1860 aged 55 and was buried here
Also WILLIAM SOMERS who died at Inverallan Inn, Bridge of Allan
15th July 1906 aged 71? years
Also his wife JANET MILLER who died 1st June 1937 aged 80 years"

"Sacred to the memory of HELEN HALLEY who died 3rd January 1863 aged 42 years
JAMES CHRISTIE her son who died 22nd September 1862 aged 10 years"
(I don't know whether Halley would be her Christian or married name, also her son James, Christie could either be his middle or surname)

"Erected by George Christie in memory of his wife
CHRISTINA C. JOHNSTON died 31st October 1879 aged 27 years
Also the above GEORGE CHRISTIE died 10th July 1926 aged 75 years
And his widow JANE BURNS died 7th December 1934 aged 83 years"

"In memory of ROBERT RISK who died at Dumbrae 15th July 1878 aged 77 years
Also his wife JANET CHRISTIE who died at Trowan 5th July 1893 aged 81 years
Their sons JAMES RISK died 15th May 1914? aged 71 years
Also his wife MARY MERCER died 27th March 1925 aged 87 years
ROBERT CHRISTIE RISK died 17th February 1931 aged 76 years"

I couldn't find any stones bearing the name M(a)cFarlan(e) at all, but this was only the Churchyard and not the Cemetery which is attached.

I'm going back quite soon so if you wan't me to look out for Christies and M(a)cFarlan(e)s in the Cemetery, please let me know. It's not very big so doesn't take long to go round.

In the meantime, here's a photo of Logie Kirk.

Anne

Offline kcrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 07 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Ann, thank you very much for the photo and the info on the Christie family.  They no doubt belong to the family, just have to work out where they fit.  Malcolm Mcfarlane died in 1875 at Causewayhead.  Helen Mcfarlane was living with her daughter in Glasgow and I don't know what happened to her.  There was a son John born 1825 in Logie and was wondering whether he died very young.  I have found all of the other members of the family except for him.  Thanks again.

Kathy

Offline kcrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 07 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Bonnie B, Thanks very much, maybe the family were too poor to have a headstone.  Sorry to take so long to respond but my phone lines have been down....again!

Kathy

Hi,

Sorry that I didn't get back to you yesterday. There was nothing on your John & Helen Christie BUT I found the below in:

The Stirling Observer Index of People 1836-1856

Deaths:
Christie, Helen of Stirling
Died at Glasgow 
Paper ref:  06.04.1854    Thursday     Column: 3g

I looked in both the Logie & Stirling Burials that I have.  When are they last mentioned in the records that you've looked in?

BonnieB