Author Topic: Maison Dieu  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Mardi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maison Dieu
« on: Wednesday 21 February 07 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My G G Grandfather was a Dispenser (Sub Med) and on the 1881 census his address was 3 Maison Dieu Place, Dover....would anyone know if this address had anything to do with 'THE' Maison Dieu ?

His 1891 address was 2 Woods place, Dover, does anyone know if this house is still there ?

Many thanks for any information,

Mardi.
Researching.. Taylor, Wagstaff, Swain, Dalton, Gagan of Coventry/Foleshill
Parker, Staffordshire/ Devon/ Dover and Woolwich, Kent
Johnson, Upminster Essex, Woolwich Kent.
Cuddy, Roscommon Ireland
Perry, Gloucestershire
Daley, County Cavan, Ireland, Woolwich and Dover, Kent.
Parr, Sussex/Devon
Russell, Dorset
Coward Dorset
Kellaway, Dorset
Tapp, Stoke Damerel, Devon and Poplar, Middlesex

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Maison Dieu
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mardi

Welcome to RootsChat.

Woods Place is still there - in all probability the house still exists.  I will have a look when I'm in that part of town.

Maison Dieu Place has no real connection with the Maison Dieu - it is just in the same locality.  It is next to the site of the old hospital, which would fit in with his occupation as a dispenser.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Mardi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 07 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

That would be very good of you to have a look for me.

Would the old hospital be the Queen Victoria ? if so I've read up on it on your excellent website.

I seem to have several addresses in Dover where some of my families retired to after careers in the Royal Artillery, perhaps you may know if these addresses are still there....

5 Dickson Road.
11 Alma Place.
17 Charlton Green.

It's a bit frustrating to have been in Dover quite a few times, but not knowing about the family connections with Dover then.

Many thanks for your help,

Mardi.

Cuddy, Roscommon Ireland
Perry, Gloucestershire
Parr, Sussex/Devon
Russell, Dorset
Coward Dorset
Kellaway, Dorset

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mardi

Yes, the Royal Victoria Hospital is the one - I'm glad you enjoyed the site.  If there are any particular views you would like to see added, let me know and I will see what I can do - its up to well over 200 pages and about 800 or so pictures at the moment, but there's always room for more!  Also, if you have any family pictures of old Dover that you would be happy for me to use, I'm always pleased to recieve them.

Dickson Road still exists - it is in the Tower Hamlets area.  No. 5 should still be there.

Alma Place is a small row of houses in Maison Dieu Road, leading up to Charlton Green.  They are now numbered as part of Maison Dieu Road (nos. 50 - 56?), so I can't tell you which was no. 11 (there only appear to be 7 cottages in the terrace).

Charlton Green also still exists, but much of it has been demolished - only nos. 48, 54, 56 and 58 remain, backing on to the churchyard.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Mardi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 07 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

I do have a studio family photograph taken about 1900, just before my Grandmother was married or perhaps it was a little earlier before my Grand Uncle went off to the Boer war.
If you could use it on your website I would be very happy to send it to you along with their address at the time.

On the 1891 census my Grandmother's 13 year old brother was a patient at the Dover Hospital, High Street, is this yet another hospital in Dover ? poor lad died a few months later at Alma Place, from tuberculosis of the lungs and abdomen.

I made a mistake with the house numbers, there are too many pieces of paper around my desk ! !
it should be 17 Alma Place and 11 Charlton Green.

Thank you so much for all your help Bill, I really do appreciate it.

Mardi. 
Cuddy, Roscommon Ireland
Perry, Gloucestershire
Parr, Sussex/Devon
Russell, Dorset
Coward Dorset
Kellaway, Dorset

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 07 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mardi

The Dover Hospital is the same as the Royal Victoria Hospital - it is in the High Street.  Sadly it was not unusual for children to die young; shortly after this time a special TB hospital was opened in Dover.

I have sent you a picture of Alma Place as it is today, but I can't work out how there would have been 17 cottages in the terrace - I will have to look at the old street directories to work it out.

I would be pleased to add your family picture to the website - can you please scan it at a resolution of at least 600dpi and let me have details of the family so I can label it appropriately?

Many thanks.

Regards, Bill

Offline Mardi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 07 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for the photo of Alma Place, such lovely old terrace houses.
It's really wonderful to see the street where my grandmother lived as a child and yes, it was definately number 17, I checked out the census images, but not to worry because the photo gives a good idea of what the whole street must have looked like then.

I have sent you the photo of Grannie, her mother and siblings, scanned at 600 DPI, I hope it will be OK, as it's a copy from the original...no studio name on it though.

Thanks again Bill.

Regards,
Mardi.

Cuddy, Roscommon Ireland
Perry, Gloucestershire
Parr, Sussex/Devon
Russell, Dorset
Coward Dorset
Kellaway, Dorset

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
How strange would love to know his surname as i am about to move into no 3 Maison Dieu Place dover
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
This link takes you to the occupants of No 3 in 1881
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27W-LCMY
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk