Author Topic: William Owen, born c1832  (Read 3379 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Owen, born c1832
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to track down a William Owen, born possibly in the Wem area in c1832. He's possibly moved to Cheshire by 1861, though.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Neil

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: William Owen, born c1832
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 04 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Neil

I had a quick look at the partial Civil Reg Index and the only William Owen born in Wem, Shropshire was this one:-

Name Year Quarter District County Volume Page 

OWEN, William 1844 December Wem Shropshire 18 193

I realise that the year is a lot later than your c1832. 

Have you found him in any of the census returns?  These should give you a birthplace. 

Jan :)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 04 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that "Swift5" can do 1851 look ups for Shropshire http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=4728.0.

You may find something helpful!!!

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 04 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jan

Thanks very much. The census returns have him born in Worleston, near Nantwich in Cheshire. But the Parish Records reveal nothing. He married into a family that had moved from Wem, and I wondered if his had done the same. Anecdotally, my late uncle always had him down as the 'Molecatcher' of Wem, but this is probably romanticism.

Thanks again.

Neil ;)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

Good luck with your search anyway.  Don't you just love those brickwalls ??? >:( ;D

Offline Baudoux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I am a senior from N ova Scotia Canada.  I am connected to the owens' through my Great Aunt Sabina Leese who was married to George brother of William.

Is this of any help

Regards,
Doris Baudoux