Author Topic: Chester census 1871  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Chester census 1871
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Can helpers suggest where I should look for missing ancestor, the  wife of

Edward LANCASTER 47/48yrs, b. 1823   b. Darlington his occupation photographer  and described as Married in the record

His wife was Isabella (BARRETT) LANCASTER 34/35 yrs,  b. Bradford December 1836

I have seen a copy of 1871 census for their address
Grosvenor Street,  St Mary on the Hill, Chester which shows
Head of the House  together with three children, all in place
but wife,  Isabella, is not at home.

Burial record not found, so far

Jean M
Barrett. Buggs. Burgess. Curd. Edwards. Hadlow. Ladell, Lawrence. Parvin. Pearce. Ramsden. Ring. Lancaster.  <br /><br />Ackers. Bennett. Coppin.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Chester census 1871
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 04 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean
          Have you found them together on the 1881 census? or Edward as a widow in any census ? I have searched the 1871 and she does not appear anywhere in England that I can see.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter

Your interest is much appreciated.
Isabella Lancaaster is one of the difficult dames and therefore grateful to you for trying throughout 1871 -  I don't have easy access to that census.

By 1881 Edward LANCASTER was widowed, a lodger in Union Road, Nottingham and living near to his son, Adrian and daughter in-law.  Other son, Harold  was at sea.  Their daughter Ada Lancaster had married in 1874 to Frederick HADLOW (also a photographer).

This is a continuing puzzle.
Death record for Isabella LANCASTER  thought to have been after 1871- but before 1881 has not been unearthed.

Likewise, the death record of daughter Ada HADLOW, not located in the GRO index.  Has to be recorded somewhere.

You will be surprised to know that my husband is
Peter John Bennett!

Jean M

Barrett. Buggs. Burgess. Curd. Edwards. Hadlow. Ladell, Lawrence. Parvin. Pearce. Ramsden. Ring. Lancaster.  <br /><br />Ackers. Bennett. Coppin.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 04 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean
            All my records are for Cheshire only except for online census's ie 1871,1881,1891 and 1901. The online 1871 is not as yet complete and its possible that she may have returned to Bradford in 71 and its not showing. It may be worth posting an inquiry on our West Yorkshire board you never know someone may have that census.
          I don't know what else to suggest at the moment if anything comes to mind I will get in touch.
         Coincidence about the name although my wife says we are a common lot.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 04 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter

Will look around for further clues.... her age permitting, Isabella may  have been staying with a relative before the birth of another baby.  An idea to check for infants registered in 1871-72....sleuthing goes on.  Thanks for your help.

Our Bennett's were from North Dorset parishes and by 1720 settled in Lambeth.  Long line of wheelwrights and coachsmiths.

Jean M