Author Topic: St George's Trencreek  (Read 2559 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
St George's Trencreek
« on: Wednesday 21 February 07 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone shed any light on St George's Church/Chapel Trencreek? The first I heard of it was finding a chap buried at St Columb Minor and listing as 25 years Churchwarden at a parish I couldn't read. With the help of my fellow RootsChatters, it was found to be St George's. Photo's were found at

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cornwall/parish/colmin.htm

There does not appear to be much on the net about it. I contacted Phil and he was not able to be definitive. He thought it was a Methodist Chapel in St Columb Minor. I have had no reply as yet from CRO. I would particularly like to know what denomination it was. The building no longer exists.

About the only other thing I discovered is that in 1935 when a new pulpit was donated to the St Columb Minor Parish Church the old stone pulpit was given to Trencreek Chapel.

Hoping someone with local knowledge may be able to shed some light on it. Do you know for certain what denomination it was?

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lrc2530

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St George's Trencreek
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 07 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kri,
Have you tried the Online Parish Clerk for Newquay to see if she has any information.  I have used her many times and found her to be extremely helpful and always replies promptly (sometimes immediately!)  Her details are on the Genuki page for Newquay.  Trencreek is now joined up to Newquay and will soon be swallowed up completely when the Duchy of Cornwall start to build their 850+ homes on the Newquay Growth area.
The Old Newquay Cornwall Society have a website which is quite interesting, but they don't seem to have a email address but there are phone numbers listed.  You could also try Newquay Library, they have a email address which is on their webpage.  Just google Newquay Library.
Hope the above helps, but I am sure some other Rootschatter will come up with the goods!
Lynda
Greenhill Middlesex, Ottywill Ipswich, Halls Stowmarket, Coppins Kent, Chapman Cornwall, Curgenven Cornwall, Currow(Currah) Cornwall

Offline lrc2530

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 07 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, just read the Genuki page for Newquay again and realise they don't have a OPC.  I meant Susan who is the OPC for lots of other areas around Newquay and is also mentioned on the Newquay page ;D
Greenhill Middlesex, Ottywill Ipswich, Halls Stowmarket, Coppins Kent, Chapman Cornwall, Curgenven Cornwall, Currow(Currah) Cornwall

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 07 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying Lynda. I just hoped there may be some members out there with local knowledge who remembered the church and perhaps attended as a child (or the stories told by family). Apparently only a short history - it only existed from 1906 to 1960's....Kris  ;D

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let those who were interested know. Information from CRO

St Georges, a Church of England Mission Chapel, at Trencreek, St Columb Minor started in 1893 and closed in 1966.

It was licenced as Trencreek Mission Chapel for Divine Service.  The licence states that The Mission Chapel could not be used for any purpose other than for a school or for religious services connected with the Church of England. 

There is register of baptisms between 1910-1925. It is held at the Cornwall Record Office.  All marriages and burials were held at the main Church of England for St Columb Minor.

Cheers Kris  ;D