Author Topic: anyone need a look-up done at derbyshire records office  (Read 18364 times)

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: anyone need a look-up done at derbyshire records office
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 08 November 20 22:53 GMT (UK) »
How Kind and Appreciated.   I have a John Bennett born. Grassmoor Derbyshire about 1841 died age 84 buried in Hasland cemetery.  1929.  I am trying to find his marriage possibly early 1865.  He went off to Australia for a short time but returned and in 1887 went to America Greensburgh Pennsylvania for 11 years. Working as a Miner. His wife died name unknown age 28 while in Greensburgh leaving 4 children. John then returned to Grassmoor with his children again working at Grassmoor colliery     Any help would be appreciated.   Thank You. Gales

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You have John  Bennett born 1841 died 1929 Hasland aged 84, think you have a typo as the registration of his death is March Q 1929 Chesterfield registration District aged 84, so must be born abt 1845.

Assuming this is the correct John Bennett, he was born 1845 Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.
He married 11 July 1865 Chesterfield his wife was a widow Sarah Jane Gilbert (image on Ancestry).

This is confirmed by the 1871 Census Hasland, where a Mary Elizabeth Gilbert aged 7, is listed as step daughter to John Bennett.  They have a son together Harry born abt 1869 if you follow him on census he appears to have child born USA.

Mary Elizabeth Bennett is 26 in 1871 census, so if this is correct person she must have died USA about 1873.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 00:37 GMT (UK) »
  Spendlove,    Thank You for Your Reply. Really Appreciated,    The details I had was given to me by my Uncle age 94 so i can understand a little confusion with dates.   Yes my error John Bennett was born Sutton In Ashfield ,  It is obvious he was in Pennsylvania before 1887.  This hasn't been confirmed but there is a question of another daughter Stella E born 1868 in Greensburgh,   3 children returned to the UK after his wife died not 4. I have a photograph of the family 2 girls and a boy. Taken just before she died.  I guess they must be Mary Elizabeth, Harry and possibly Stella E.                Thank You Again for Your Time. Appreciated.   Gales

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 13 November 20 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Spenlove      Hi,  Stella E Bennett wasn't connected to John Bennett.  the daughter was Ethel M Bennett born Greenburgh  Pennsylvania 1894    A few things don't appear to add up.   On John Bennett's obituary it states he went to America  1887 stayed 11 years. He traveled back with his 3 children alone. His wife Sarah Jane born 1845 was said to had died age 28 in America.  (1873]  Not possible, she then appears on the 1901 and 1911 census with John in Hasland Derbyshire. cannot find anything on the ships lists.  But thanks again for your help. gales

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 14 November 20 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gales,

I think that some of the story has become confused.

Ethel May  born 1894 and Thomas H, born 1896 both born USA were the children of Henry Bennett
The son of John Bennett.

See 1901 census for Hasland, where you will see them listed.. in this census the wife of Henry is an
Elizabeth.
There is a child born 1898 William A, and Mary E aged 4 months so born Dec 1900, both registered in Chesterfield per freeBMD. The maiden name of the mother of both these children is Renwick
However I cannot find a marriage for them in England.

It is quite possible that Henry married just prior to leaving for America, there is a Henry getting married 1888 Chesterfield to either a Betsy or a Mary Eliza, who then died in America.

You say you have the obituary, can you give details as to which newspaper it appears?

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Juleshendana

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 10:00 GMT (UK) »
That could be helpful.  I’m new to this so unsure where I need to look/post? My great grandad was born 1895 and died 1932 suddenly but I’m trying to find cause of death?

Thomas Henry Swann

His son was same name born in 1916 so it mixes up records on ancestry.  If you find anything, give me a shout! Thanks.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Juleshendana.

Your post isn't in quite the correct place, but you could ask for it to be moved by a moderator?

Meanwhile....

Are you sure of the birth and death dates for your great grandad - he would be around 37 if died in 1932?  I can see a death for someone of 45 in Derby.

Have you applied for the death certificate - easiest starting point for cause of death?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Henry Swann was 27 when he married Matilda Hague on January 31st 1914, his father John, a labourer, was deceased, and he had been living at 25 Spa Lane Derby, working as a carter.  Henry Swann was a witness, and this information shows on Ancestry.

Added:
I think his parents were John Swan and Elizabeth Wilkins/Wilkens - fits with censuses and siblings - his birth registered March quarter 1885 in Lichfield.

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 17 January 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Spenlove.  So sorry for late reply not well    Unfortunately cannot read the date or name of the paper, however it was brought to my notice that HENRY was,my uncles  Grandfather and John  Gt Grandfather.  Ethel May born 1894 Greensburg married George B Wells  1914 Derbyshire UK Mother to Ronald born 1925 {Uncle] age 96.   Appreciate the start you gave me  We have now completed details of both John and Henry Bennett's family's and more.  Thank You Appreciated. gales