Author Topic: an early Suffolk will-lots of names  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
an early Suffolk will-lots of names
« on: Wednesday 24 November 04 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a will of my 7x great grand uncle of such extent that it is too large to publish here. (I tried to, though!)
it is viewable at Rootsweb's WorldConnect.
in it, many names are listed, some of whom I know, some of whom I do not know.

Edmond Cross is the deceased, but he has relatives with that name. the will was written 3 Apr 1713 and probated 11 Nov 1713.

can anyone help with the individuals in the will?
in order as they are found in the will;

Edmond Cross the deceased
b. 14 Feb 1649 of Woodbridge, d. 2 Sep 1713 Woodbridge

Frances his 2nd wife, b. ? of London??? d. aft 1713 of Woodbridge

John Wainwright a tenant-unknown, but 3-4 generations later there is a John Wainwright Cross in the family

William Collins a tenant

Matthew Sorntton a tenant

William Elmos a tenant

Mary Haward a tenant

Sarah Ellwood-a daughter in law...but not a Cross? unknown

Barbaroy (Barbara?) and Thomas Kood-people land was purchased from-otherwise unknown

Jonathan Seaman-brother in law-widower of Edmond's sister Susannah.

Jonathan Seaman-kinsman-son of Jonathan and Susannah

Isaac Lawrence-"loving friend"-assume this means a close or best friend

Peter Cross-eldest sibling of Edmond and my 7x great grandfather.

James Edwards-kinsman-unknown, but the son of a sister? or two generations removed-grandson of a sibling? or from Frances' side of the family?

Mary Taylor-kinswoman-unknown

Katherine Ewards-is she an Edwards, like James? a kinswoman-unknown

Rebeckah M peters-kinswoman. is her surname misspelled? unknown

Martha King-kinswoman-I believe she is Edmond's sister Martha.
Thomas King-Martha's husband

Joseph Crisb-"loving friend" is he a Crisp?

Susannah Freeman-predeceased sister and youngest sibling of Edmond. the wife of John Freeman

Sarah, John, Andrew, Lydia, and Samuel Freeman-children of John and Susannah Cross Freeman-I've been unsuccessful in tracing them. I think they left the faith.

Margaret, Sarah and Katherine Cross-children of Peter Cross and his 2nd wife, Elizabeth Peckover. Margaret went on to marry a Mr. Nainby, Katherine went on to marry a Mr. Holder. these marriages were in Middlesex or Surrey area.

Susannah King-kinswoman-the sister of Edmond's sister in law, Mary Freeman who married Edmond Cross, son of Peter Cross and his 1st wife, Jane/Joan/Johanna __?__.
Joseph King-Susannah's husband, and a sore spot to Edmond-though why is unknown to me.

Edmond Cross of Walton-kinsman-son of Peter Cross and his 1st wife, Jane/Joan/Joannah __?__, nephew of Edmond, and my 6x great grandfather.

Peter Cross-kinsman and son of a kinsman Edmond Cross-I do not know which Edmond Cross he refers to nor do I have this particular Peter in my files at all. he may be a missing link to a later Peter Cross, b. abt 1715 Woodbridge.

Joseph Cross-kinsman-son of Peter Cross and his 2nd wife Elizabeth Peckover.

John Cross-kinsman-son of Peter Cross and his 2nd wife Elizabeth Peckover. we do not know what happened to him.

William Elwood-Frances' grandson and I assume Sarah Ellwood's son?

Benjamin Cross-kinsman-nephew of Edmond, son of Peter Cross and his 2nd wife Elizabeth Peckover. Benjamin drowned beneath the London bridge on 7 Sep 1740. I've always wanted to find the inquest, but so far it has eluded me. what was he doing there, I wonder. the surviving children of Peter and Elizabeth's family settled in Surrey, Middlesex and London.

I left out the witnesses names
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt