Author Topic: Look up  (Read 12149 times)

Offline johnlennon_forever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:22 GMT (UK) »
thank you very much everyone i am the lady that is trying to research her family. Sylvia was jessie's daughter, my grandma. I know that John was a widower and a labourer. his dad was called william and a butcher. the witnesses to the marriage were a james and susan perry.

thank you once again for all your help

From
Amber
John Thomas Roberts, Ireland
Mary Ann Gordge, Dorset

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Amber,

1901  - found James and Susan Perry
RG13; Piece: 2015; Folio: 35; Page: 19
James Perry 39 yrs stone boatman (barge) b Lyme Regis
Susan  42 yrs b Charmouth
James 2 yrs b Lyme Regis

there is a marriage on free BMD for 1897.
Susan Hannah Gordge
James Perry
William James Perry

living next door to a Frank and Elizabeth Gollop who is also a stone boatman.

now I recall I think that that Mary Ann is possibly a Goodge or Googe before she becomes a Hodder.
Sadly though no help for John Thomas!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:42 GMT (UK) »
in fact there's another Gollop and a Hodder on the page!

Yes the connection between the couples does seem to be between Mary Ann and Susan!

Lastly Amber do you know definitely that John was Irish?
I'm afraid the search doesn't look too good.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Haywood  You got the right bunch Frank Gollop was William Gollop s brother William was my Great Grandfather. Frank was said to have to been fishing with William when he was Killed in a rock slide Mary Ann lost 2 Husbands poor old gal had it Rough. Samual Hodder was from her first marriage to Hodder To bad we cant find more about John Roberts   Thanks again  Alan
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 07 00:27 BST (UK) »
Haywood  is there any other place a fellow might poke arround for this roberts fellow. I have three people that I can't seem to find out much about and I dont want to Quit on them yet.  Alan
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 17:25 BST (UK) »
i don't definitely know he was irish unfortunately. i have information that he could be from Sligo or from Antrim. But i can't be definitely sure he came from either of those places or from any where in Ireland for that matter. They were only married for two years before he died too. at a local sight in lyme. next time i visit i shall try and look for his gravestone.

i have heard that he was not in fact a widower but a bigamist as he had family in london but i don't know if this is true. i would certainly think something wrong happened because i get the feeling that Mary Ann never really mentioned him as none of her descendants really know anything about him.

from his marriage cert i believe he was born circa. 1849.

don't know if any of this helps. surely he can't pop up to get married and then never be heard of again?

Amber
Mary Ann Gordge, Dorset

Offline Sordibub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 September 07 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Folks

Just reading through your thread...

The search engine for Irish parish records (incomplete baptisms & marriages for 9 counties only) shows a bunch of John Roberts, born around the country. The nearest matches to your John Roberts' date of birth would be...

John Roberts, born 1849, Wexford
John Roberts, born 1850, Armagh

You can take a look at the following web address (unfortunately it costs to get any additional information and I do not recommend the Wexford Heritage Centre!)...

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/csi/all_counties/csi.cfm

Incidentally, there are also two John Roberts in the Sligo 1901 census.

Other than that, the only hint to where John might have come from is from trying to locate his father, William, in the Griffith Valuation. The Griffith Valuation is commonly used as a census substitute and, while is shows all heads of household, the on-line version is incomplete. It was taken in the mid 1800's. The on-line version shows 3 William Roberts in Armagh, none in Sligo.

http://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php

Sorry, nothing conclusive.

By the way, what religion was John? I ask this as civil registration for Catholics in Ireland survives from 1864. For protestants, however, the civil registration dates from 1840 something. It is always easier to find a civil registration than a parish record!

Rachel
Wexford & Donegal

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 September 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
By the way, what religion was John? I ask this as civil registration for Catholics in Ireland survives from 1864. For protestants, however, the civil registration dates from 1840 something. It is always easier to find a civil registration than a parish record!
Actually civil registration of Protestant marriages started in 1845 while for Catholic marriages it was 1864 so there were never any earlier Catholic records. For earlier dates you have to locate church records (if they still exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
either of the births might be right but i don't think the death is because he died in lyme regis in 1901.

i'm not sure what religion he was unfortunately. i don't really know anything. i think someone from the family has tried to wipe all trace of him.
Mary Ann Gordge, Dorset