Author Topic: Ancestry & IGI under maintenance  (Read 8641 times)

Offline sylvia 57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Freebmd-not working?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 October 04 16:17 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD hasnt been working all day today was not working for long last night either annoying as that is the only site that is free that you can link peoples marrages if you only know one partner think i will have to look elsewere to see if there is any other sites the same

Offline Jackienock

• RootsChat Extra
  • A GRUMPY OLD MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 October 04 16:28 BST (UK) »
Doesn't anyone use the FREE part of Ancestry.com to find BMD's?

It's certainly quicker.

ALLEN, GREEN, HOBBINS, Walsall. 
ALLEN, KNOWLES, TROMANS, Cradley area.    
BRETTELL, BROOKS, ENSELL, Stourbridge area.  
MCWHIRTER, RICE, TROMANS, Plymouth area.
TIMMINS,  Chaddesley Corbett, Kidderminster.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 October 04 16:38 BST (UK) »
You have to register now. 
Does that cause any problems?
bearkat
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

indiapaleale

« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 October 04 16:44 BST (UK) »
I'd be happy to do a look up on Ancestry BMD if you give me some details.
Cheers, India :D

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 October 04 21:00 BST (UK) »
All marriages after 1837 are free to view on Ancestry and baptisms although like freebmd they don't give parents. All you have to do is have a login in name and password but it won't cost you. Anjo

Offline craggus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 October 04 09:57 BST (UK) »
The main problem with searching for marriages on ANCESTRY is that you can only enter one of the couples names in the search criteria I think.
BLACKHAM - Great Bridge/Tipton/West Bromwich; BALL - West Bromwich; JOHNSON - West Bromwich/Tipton/Dudley; WHARTON - West Bromwich; COOPER - Surrey; ALDERTON - Surrey/Essex; SEELEY - Coventry/Wales; JONES - Wales (!)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 October 04 14:46 BST (UK) »
Sue
I think freebmd doesn't like the question you are asking half the time, give it less options, narrow the search right down and suddenly it decides to talk to you!
Anyway, have you tried the VIEW IMAGES OPTION on freebmd which is a series of dropdown boxes (you input nothing) which reveals the original GRO b/m/d index. Not all years are there but certainly enough to keep you interested and it goes upto 1910 with the odd years missing.
When you go on freebmd, you press the red search button which is down a bit and left, this being what you normally do! once on the input page you will note above the boxes the VIEW IMAGES OPTION.
Have a go
Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sylvia 57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 October 04 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant.
I wish I knew how you could do the . option search ou are talking about  as it doesnt work when I try it any ideas please

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 October 04 09:35 BST (UK) »
Sylvia

The VIEW IMAGES is a series of dropdown boxes (you input nothing) which reveals the original GRO b/m/d index. Not all years are there but certainly enough to keep you interested and it goes upto 1910 with the odd years missing.
When you go on freebmd, you press the red search button which is down a bit and left, this being what you normally do! once on the input page you will note above the boxes the VIEW IMAGES OPTION.
The dropdown boxes are as follows:-
1/   Birth  Marriage or Death
2/   Year
3/   Quarter
4/   Letters of name
after going through those dropdown boxes you choose a delivery medium to display, I personally use the one immediately to the right of the dropdown boxes which is "display as PDF file" you then click on that two or 3 times and BINGO.
It sounds complicated but it isn't, you don't input anything, its all done by dropdown boxes!
"One little point" I use broadband, I don't know what it would be like using dial-up ?
Have a go
Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk