Author Topic: William James Bryden - Dumfries  (Read 17339 times)

Offline patty

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William James Bryden - Dumfries
« on: Friday 23 February 07 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I am just beginning a search of my Scottish ancestors.  My great-grandfather was William James Bryden.  He was born about 1838 in Dumfries.  I know he had one brother Robert Bryden who apparently ran a tobacconist shop for many many years in Dumfries.  I believe Robert also married a woman by the name of Helen Hastings. That is all I have.
By 1881 William appears in the Canadian census, so if he can be found in Scotland I would suspect it would be in the earlier Scottish census reports.  Perhaps there are also some old telephone or postal directories from the early 1900s that would indicate Robert's whereabouts?
Would anyone be so kind to perhaps have a look around and see if they might come up with some further information that I could use to extend my search?
Many thanks - I am not at all familiar with searching Scottish records and would really appreciate any help.
Sincere thanks
Patty
in Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James Bryden - Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patty  :)

I've had a good look for births for William and Robert Bryden in Dumfries but none come up with the same parents. I've also searched for them on the 1841-1861 censuses, again to no avail. I've checked for a death for a Helen Bryden 1855 - 1956 in both Dumfriesshire and Kirkcudbrightshire but again nothing comes up with a maiden name of Hastings.

It's all a bit of a puzzle  :-\  It might be worth you registering with the Scotlands People website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk It's pay to view but very reasonable.

Do you have any other information at all that might help?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 07 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patty

From the 1851 census.
119 High Street, Dumfries. (821)
Margaret Bryden - head of household (widow)
Age 72
Born in Canonbie, Dmfs.
Ann Bryden (daughter)
Age 35
Occupation - Dressmaker
Born in Troqueer, Kirkudbrightshire
Catherine Bryden (daughter)
Age 30
Occupation - Milliner
Born in Troqueer
Thomas Bryden (grandson of Margaret)
Age 18
Occupation - Painter apprentice
Born in Dumfries
John Bryden (grandson of Margaret)
Age 16
Occupation - Sadler apprentice
Born in Dumfries
William Bryden (grandson of Margaret)
age14
Occupation - Tailor apprentice
Born in Dumfries
Robert Bryden (grandson of Margaret)
Age 11
Born in Dumfries

This the only family with a William and Robert that I can find, but bear in mind that it was rare to show a middle name (just to make things difficult).

Could not find the grandchildren on the 1841 census but did find the grandmother and daughters.

Parish of St, Mary's, Dumfries.
High Street.
Margaret Bryden. head of household (widow)
Age 60
Born outside the county.
Anne Bryden (daughter)
Age 25
Occupation - Staymaker
Born otc
Catherine Bryden (daughter)
age 20
Occupation - Milliner
Born otc
Margaret Nelson
Age 25
Occupation - Servant
Born in Dumfriesshire   

When looking on Scotlandspeople, use a wildcard for the surname as there are several variations of the name Bryden (depending how it was transcribed). A RootsChatter kindly looked up a birth for me and eventually found it with the spelling of Brydane, the way it was pronounced. Unfortunately us Brydens seem to be an elusive lot.

Best of luck

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patty

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 07 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to both Gadget and Mike for their replies.  I am awaiting some info from a distant Bryden relative and hope to be able to confirm that the information matches.
Regards,
Patty

Offline margt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patty, I know a little about Robert Bryden (Bob) who married Helen Munsie Hastings. Bob and Helen were cousins on the Kerr side of the family. Their grandmothers, Helen and Elizabeth Munsie were sisters. Helen and Bob lived at Townland, Lochmaben until he died. She then returned to live at Thornhill to help care for her mother. After her mother's death, Helen and her sister Bessie lived together in a smaller house at Thornhill. Helen and Bob had no children. They are buried with her parents at Morton Cemetery. Our family knew her as Ella. There is another Helen Munsie Hastings, another cousin who was a nursing sister and died on duty.

Hope this info helps. I would like to know more about this couple. It seems to me that there was possibly a big difference in age.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 10:01 GMT (UK) »
children of John Brydone and Janet Gordon [note spelling]
Thomas born 16/10/1832
John born 11/3/1834
William born 24/11.1835
Robert born 22/11/1838
all born Dumfries

Audrey

Offline Janaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Patty,
I came accross this gravestone in Greenhead Cemetery, Thornhill, Dumfriesshire while I was researching my Munsie line.
In Memory of Elizabeth Munsie spouse of William Bryden who died Templand Lochmaben on the 25th February 1890 aged 59 years Also Robert Bryden their son who died at Barrons Court Ireland on the 6th June 1875 aged 15 years also George CG Bryden their son who died at Templand on the 21st March 1892 aged 21 years Also the above William Bryden who died at Templand 20th November 1900 aged 72years. Also Thomas Bryden who died at Templand Lochmaben 1st March 1933 aged 65 years alsoMary Bryden who died at Crown Hotel Lochmaben 14th March 1933 aged 76 years Also James Bryden who died at Templand 3rd May 1934 aged 70 years Also John Bryden who died at Harrow Middlesex 4th March 1906 aged 42 years Also William James Bryden who died at Windsor on 27th June 1932 in his 74th year.
Is this of any help?
Regards,
Diana

Offline margt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 09 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana. Now this is interesting! Does this Munsie family connect to you? This is the family I am talking about! Our Bryden connection lived at Templand (not Townland as I mistakenly wrote earlier). The Robert Bryden we connect to died 2 Feb 1942 Templand and is buried with his wife in her parents' grave at Morton Cemetery. We think he was born 28 JAN 1860, Durrisdeer, son of William and Elizabeth Bryden. We are looking for a marriage date for Robert Bryden and Helen Munsie Hastings. The date would be between 1920-1930. Do you have any further information?
Regards, Margt

Offline Janaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Margt,
Sorry, I don’t have anything as far on as 1920’s.
Not sure yet if Elizabeth Munsie is connected to my line, but did find on another website –
Robert Munsie b abt 1788 Penpoint wife Mary McCaig b 1792
Children –
Helen Munsie b 1817 Closeburn married John Hastings 28 Jul 1846 Morton
Mary Munsie b 1818 Closeburn
William Munsie b 30 Sept 1827 High Campsie, Closeburn marr Janet Dalziel
Elizabeth Munsie b 7 Nov 1830 Keir married William Bryden 1 Jan 1856 Closeburn

1851 Census for John Hastings and Hellen Munsie –
12 Townhead St Thornhill
John head marr 29 Molecatcher Morton
Helen wife 30 Closeburn
John son 4 Morton

1881 Census for John Hastings and Helen
Low Cample, Closeburn
John head marr 59 Molecatcher  Morton
Helen wife 63 Dumfriesshire Closeburn
Robert Morrisie 19 Molecatcher Closeburn [could Morrisie be a mistrnscription of Munsie]

1841 Census for John Hastings with parents
Church Place Thornhill
John 50 Molectcher Dumfriesshire
Ellen 50 Dumfriesshire
John 16 Molecatcher Journeyman Dumfriesshire
David 12 Dumfriesshire
Mary 10 Dumfriesshire
Andrew 6 Dumfriesshire
Robert 16 Dumfriesshire

1851 Census for John Hastings – father
4 Townhead Street Thornhill
John Hastings 60 Molecatcher Morton