Author Topic: A Challenge, me thinks!  (Read 910 times)

Offline Gravy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A Challenge, me thinks!
« on: Saturday 24 February 07 00:46 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered this photograph in very poor shape which is the only one of my Gt Gt Grandfather William b.1836 and wife Mary with one of their daughters.  It must have been taken before 1883 when Mary died aged 48.  It seems a bit unusual as the reverse is plain with no indication of the photographer/studio - does that mean it was a copy I wonder.

It would be so good if this could be restored to a point of seeing William's face more clearly and then hopefully get a reasonably accurate fix on the date when it was taken.  Hopefully I can establish which one of the daughters was in the studio.

I've really struggled to date the clothing that's being worn - a 15 year spread is all I can do.  I wonder if anyone can do a little better?
Vockins, Camplin, Williams, Woolhouse, Hardinges, Ayres, Sweetzer, Docherty, Randall, Strudwick, Sainsbury, Noble, Millar, McNamara, Maskell, Hitchman, Harridance, Hale, Griffin, Friel, Fortune, Burt, Amory

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Challenge, me thinks!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 07 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gravy,

Removed a lot of luminence noise.

Best regards George
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 07 15:41 GMT (UK) »
me thinks as well  :o :o ::) ::) :-\ :-\
Mudge

Offline genie.fan

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Aunty Evie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 07 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Best I could do ???
Feel free to improve or colour any restores submitted by me.

Walker
Wilson
Scarth
Peacock
Bendelow
Dobson
Llewellyn
Clark
Brewster

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 February 07 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gravy,

The best that I can come up with is a date line for the last eight years of Mary's life, this being 1875 to 1883. Sadly there is not much to go on in this photograph for me to date it properly by but with the style of hair that the woman has, the length and form of the sleeving to her bodice and the over all pose of all in the study I would go with the date line I have given. The only thing that I can say about the male is that the whiskers that he is seen sporting were known as a "Newgate Frill". Sorry...not much help I'm afraid but hope it helps anyway.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Gravy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 07 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the help you've given me.  It's very impressive how you've managed to get rid of a lot of the noise, I didn't think for one moment that it would be easy.

So, William was sporting a "Newgate Frill", not fox-fur on his coat collar!  I'm slightly surprised beards were tolerated where he worked - the Huntley & Palmer's biscuit factory.  I can imagine a few customers finding a bonus hair when they opened their packets of digestive creams.   :D

Not that I'm at all good at guessing people's ages, but the little girl looks to me to be aged around 8.  Being there is only one child in the photo, I imagine it to be the youngest who was Edith born 1872.  This would make the photo to have been taken say 1879/80, with William aged 44 and Mary 45.

Thanks again everyone.
Gravy

Vockins, Camplin, Williams, Woolhouse, Hardinges, Ayres, Sweetzer, Docherty, Randall, Strudwick, Sainsbury, Noble, Millar, McNamara, Maskell, Hitchman, Harridance, Hale, Griffin, Friel, Fortune, Burt, Amory