Author Topic: Woolwich  (Read 4291 times)

Offline tipoom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woolwich
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 07 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification.

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 September 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
I was born in 29 Engineer Road, my grandparents house at the time, 1961. The whole area suffered pretty badly during WW2 due to the proximity to miltary and industrial sites. The area was flattened and redeveloped in the early 1970's and Engineer Road disappeared
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 September 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
In my London Street map Engineer Road runs between Jackson Street and Gildersome Street with Milward Street between these two streets and touching Engineering Road. I believe in  1941 a bomb dropped between Milward Street and Gildersome Street. In 1906 my Mother was (B) at 32 Gildersome Street.
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 June 13 20:28 BST (UK) »
I was born in 29 Engineer Road, my grandparents house at the time, 1961. The whole area suffered pretty badly during WW2 due to the proximity to miltary and industrial sites. The area was flattened and redeveloped in the early 1970's and Engineer Road disappeared

Hi, my Aunt and Uncle lived at 33 Engineer Road until about 1962, by the name of Sheen, ring any bells?? During the war I played with my cousins in the passageway along side of the pub right opposite my Aunts house, but for the life of me cannot recall the name, any chance that you know it before it was demolished along with the rest of the properties in that area??

Bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 12:47 BST (UK) »

Hi, my Aunt and Uncle lived at 33 Engineer Road until about 1962, by the name of Sheen, ring any bells?? During the war I played with my cousins in the passageway along side of the pub right opposite my Aunts house, but for the life of me cannot recall the name, any chance that you know it before it was demolished along with the rest of the properties in that area??

Bowman

Hi Bowman

My grandparents, Alf and Beat Wilson, lived there until I was about 7-8yo and I certainly do have strong memories of the place. My mother, Joan, was brought up there and she does remember the Sheen family, but not any first names. Apparently there was a daughter a little younger than my mum (born 1939).

The pub you remember was the Barrack Tavern which was at the end of that alleyway and fronted on to Woolwich Common. I seem to remember that there was a small grocers there too. The other local pub was the Manor Arms at the other end of Engineer Road. I have the electoral register from that time so that may prompt her to remember more.

Edit - After posting this, my mum just called having remembered that the daughter at No. 33 was Brenda Sheen, presumably your cousin?

Regards

Peter

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter for solving this dilemma for me, I could not for the life of me, remember the pubs name and it does not appear on the 'Lost pubs of London' website.

I can PM you with further about my Aunts family, if you would like.

Bowman

BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter for solving this dilemma for me, I could not for the life of me, remember the pubs name and it does not appear on the 'Lost pubs of London' website.

I can PM you with further about my Aunts family, if you would like.

Bowman

Hi Bowman, I'm positive that my mum would love to know more. she loved growing up there.

Many thanks

Peter

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 January 14 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I just picked this up from the London forum here..

http://maps.nls.uk/os/london-1890s/index.html

London maps from 1893-96 at 5"=1 Mile scale (huge!)

Engineer Road is very clearly laid out