Author Topic: becoming doctors  (Read 2757 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
becoming doctors
« on: Wednesday 24 November 04 09:40 GMT (UK) »
has anyone any ideas as to where young men who were living in Thurso in the 1850's,  would been most likely to go to University if they wanted to become Doctors?
I thought maybe Edinburgh ?

Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline farnorthjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: becoming doctors
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 04 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anigran,
   these days it seems to be Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow, I dont expect things have changed all that much since the 1850's,
            from the sunny  north.
                            Jean.
researching:- weston, marchant, saunders in sussex. Clarke, Lowe,Goodwin in shropshire

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: becoming doctors
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 04 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jean .
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall