Author Topic: Rowley Hall, Stafford  (Read 18030 times)

Offline madmodeller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rowley Hall, Stafford
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 August 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Does any one remember a young girl living or staying in Rowley Hall, name of Mavis Beasley or Pope. It would have been around 1956-58 possibly.  May be deceased now??? She was a very good friend of mine who was suddenly whisked away.  I can't say that she was a naughty girl, not in our eyes.

Offline Wendy Jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 October 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I was an inmate at Rowley hall in 1965-67 there was definitely a swimming pool that had been built by the girls it was used by the staff I don't recall any of the girls using it when I was there. The deputy head was miss thornley I don't recall the heads name but she had a vicious dog called Rowley who was very menacing to the girls. The houses were st Patrick st David and st Christopher . I was in st Christopher's and the house mother was mrs (*) . We spent our time gardening with mr (*) who's wife was the house mother to st David's the staff had houses on the grounds. Miss (*) had a flat in the main building . We had to do their housework cooking and washing. Miss(*) was dirty smelly and cleaning her flat was awful. Mr (*) was strict but I liked him and enjoyed gardening he gave me a lot of responsibility mainly for the sweet peas that we sold locally I still love gardening and sweet peas.  I learnt a lot at Rowley hall but it was a cruel place some of the staff were sadistic  and it was designed to crush girls. I spent several periods in the nick a small room like a cell with bars on the window. You were locked in for several days. They maintained discipline with a system of  priveledge so you could work your way up the system junior, intermediate , senior bullying was encouraged as a means of. Control.  The girls were not criminals but victims of a society that didn't  care other than to oppress them.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Hi Rowena

There's a smallish picture of the Hall at the following link

http://www.vivelifecare.co.uk/hospitals/rowley_hospital.aspx

Tony
I was in Rowley hall 1967/68 the dog Rowley was a dalmatian. I cannot say it was a good place and looking back to the time spent in that place makes me relize how some of the treatment was very cruel

Linda
I was in Rowley hall..  I remember the beautiful staircase all in marble .. and the miserable staff... I was there around 1968 to 70.. would love to meet up with the girls again..  I was always running away from that place xx

Offline madmodeller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 October 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Was Rowley Hall ever used to house girls who got themselves pregnant by any chance. I have discovered that the friend I was looking for,Mavis Beasley?or Pope, may have had a child when she was under-age. But she was a good friend, and I would love to find out more about where she went when she left the Bilston area.