Author Topic: Rowley Hall, Stafford  (Read 18024 times)

Offline VirtualBlonde1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rowley Hall, Stafford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 January 11 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Dear Terry,

Definitely no swimming pool 1969/70 which seems pretty odd if it had been built in 1964, only used for a short time?  I wonder if an accident caused it's closure?  If it was outdoors and put at the bottom of the large gardens at the rear of the mansion, it could be that the tennis courts replaced it.  I can't think where it could have been except for there.  There was a sixties type building addition called the school block, where we left the main house and had a very short stroll to the education block.  Perhaps it was there at one time.

I can't quite recall the name of the head, but her deputy was Miss (*), a large lady who seemed to have a bit of trouble with mobility - us girls really took advantage of her slowness at catching us....

There were 4 'houses' (which were all designated a room) all colour coded, red, green, blue and yellow which had a 'house-mother'.  Each house-mother would over-see about 8-10 girls.  My house-mother was Miss (*), a very gentle, understanding woman.  The only other staff I recall was the chef who came and went on a daily basis.  There was also a wing to the house which was solitary confinement, it was awfull, a room with nothing except for a wooden 'bed' kept in place by two chains that supported it from the wall.  I spent a couple of episodes in there after I had obsconded.

What newspaper are you writing the article for Terry?  If you would like any contribution I would be happy to help with a few facts or purely my subjective recollections!  I would also like to see the finished article!  It seems to me that that anything to do with the place/era has all been forgotten or hushed..

Aside, good luck with your  article and do get in touch if I can help further.

Best wishes Wendy.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Judistar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 October 12 14:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Terry,

Definitely no swimming pool 1969/70 which seems pretty odd if it had been built in 1964, only used for a short time?  I wonder if an accident caused it's closure?  If it was outdoors and put at the bottom of the large gardens at the rear of the mansion, it could be that the tennis courts replaced it.  I can't think where it could have been except for there.  There was a sixties type building addition called the school block, where we left the main house and had a very short stroll to the education block.  Perhaps it was there at one time.

I can't quite recall the name of the head, but her deputy was Miss (*), a large lady who seemed to have a bit of trouble with mobility - us girls really took advantage of her slowness at catching us....

There were 4 'houses' (which were all designated a room) all colour coded, red, green, blue and yellow which had a 'house-mother'.  Each house-mother would over-see about 8-10 girls.  My house-mother was Miss (*), a very gentle, understanding woman.  The only other staff I recall was the chef who came and went on a daily basis.  There was also a wing to the house which was solitary confinement, it was awfull, a room with nothing except for a wooden 'bed' kept in place by two chains that supported it from the wall.  I spent a couple of episodes in there after I had obsconded.

What newspaper are you writing the article for Terry?  If you would like any contribution I would be happy to help with a few facts or purely my subjective recollections!  I would also like to see the finished article!  It seems to me that that anything to do with the place/era has all been forgotten or hushed..

Aside, good luck with your  article and do get in touch if I can help further.

Best wishes Wendy.

Offline Judistar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 October 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
I was an inmate at Rowley hall in 1965-67 there was definitely a swimming pool that had been built by the girls it was used by the staff I don't recall any of the girls using it when I was there. The deputy head was miss thornley I don't recall the heads name but she had a vicious dog called Rowley who was very menacing to the girls. The houses were st Patrick st David and st Christopher . I was in st Christopher's and the house mother was mrs (*) . We spent our time gardening with mr (*) who's wife was the house mother to st David's the staff had houses on the grounds. Miss (*) had a flat in the main building . We had to do their housework cooking and washing. Miss(*) was dirty smelly and cleaning her flat was awful. Mr (*) was strict but I liked him and enjoyed gardening he gave me a lot of responsibility mainly for the sweet peas that we sold locally I still love gardening and sweet peas.  I learnt a lot at Rowley hall but it was a cruel place some of the staff were sadistic  and it was designed to crush girls. I spent several periods in the nick a small room like a cell with bars on the window. You were locked in for several days. They maintained discipline with a system of  priveledge so you could work your way up the system junior, intermediate , senior bullying was encouraged as a means of. Control.  The girls were not criminals but victims of a society that didn't  care other than to oppress them.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

Offline CaroleMag

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 12:25 BST (UK) »
I would like to find out more about my mother's stay here circa 1938 for two years. Does anyone know if any records were kept of the girls sent here for 'reform'?

Offline Ann Thompson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
I went to rowleyhall Stafford in 1969-1971 my name is ann ross can anyone remember me. And does anyone no a corol from Dudley who was there. My nick name was fish fingers the makers name.

Offline Linda Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 July 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
I was an inmate at Rowley hall in 1965-67 there was definitely a swimming pool that had been built by the girls it was used by the staff I don't recall any of the girls using it when I was there. The deputy head was miss thornley I don't recall the heads name but she had a vicious dog called Rowley who was very menacing to the girls. The houses were st Patrick st David and st Christopher . I was in st Christopher's and the house mother was mrs (*) . We spent our time gardening with mr (*) who's wife was the house mother to st David's the staff had houses on the grounds. Miss (*) had a flat in the main building . We had to do their housework cooking and washing. Miss(*) was dirty smelly and cleaning her flat was awful. Mr (*) was strict but I liked him and enjoyed gardening he gave me a lot of responsibility mainly for the sweet peas that we sold locally I still love gardening and sweet peas.  I learnt a lot at Rowley hall but it was a cruel place some of the staff were sadistic  and it was designed to crush girls. I spent several periods in the nick a small room like a cell with bars on the window. You were locked in for several days. They maintained discipline with a system of  priveledge so you could work your way up the system junior, intermediate , senior bullying was encouraged as a means of. Control.  The girls were not criminals but victims of a society that didn't  care other than to oppress them.

(*) Moderator Comment:

Hi Rowena

There's a smallish picture of the Hall at the following link

http://www.vivelifecare.co.uk/hospitals/rowley_hospital.aspx

Tony

Offline Glassjubo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 August 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
I'm astounded I've found some people from Rowley Hall
I was there can't remember the year maybe 1963/4, but I was always absconding and getting brought back to be put in a straight jacket and locked up for days.
I also remember Miss Thornley, the cow to this day and the smell of her perfume. There was a girl in the bed next to me who was called something like Ann Marie, she had Curley hair.
We went to church just to pick up dog ends and roll them in Izal toilet paper ! I also remember doing exercises to Cilla Blacks 'anyone who had a heart' I think it was called.
I'd love to hear everyone's tales, my memories are few and far between

Offline Linda Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 August 15 17:28 BST (UK) »
I was in Rowley hall 1967/68 the dog Rowley was a dalmatian. I cannot say it was a good place and looking back to the time spent in that place makes me relize how some of the treatment was very cruel

Linda

Offline SheilaRoberts1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I am 65 now, but I have a vivid sad memory from about the summer of 1959/60. Walking back to St. Paul's primary school with some girl friends after having been home for lunch we saw 2 or 3 girls in green jacketed uniforms walking towards us and wondered what school they were from. Suddenly the girls froze and from behind us came 2 policemen who grabbed hold of the girls and put their arms up their backs. the one girl immediately cried out that she didn't want to go back, in a most pitiable voice, please I don't want to go back and the tears ran down her face as they were led away.
 When I told my parents they said they were from Rowley hall naughty girls' home.
You didn't look naughty to me and I felt oh so sorry for you.

Whoever you are, 55 years later you are still on my mind.