Author Topic: ARROWSMITH, All  (Read 4961 times)

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
ARROWSMITH, All
« on: Tuesday 27 February 07 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Arrowsmith family in Lancashire UK, Waterford Ireland, Queensland Australia, & New Zealand.

James was born c.1815, possibly Astley/Leigh area of Lancashire.
In 1846 he married Henrietta Meyer (German) in Liverpool.
There was no information regarding his father on the marriage cert, so he could well have been illegitimate.
James died in Ireland.
Henrietta died in NZ.

They had the following children:
Liesette Mary,
Francis Henry,
Simon,
Emilia Louisa Sophia,
Thomas Adolph,
Jeanette Henrietta
James Meyer,

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is connected to or researching any branches of this family.

I have more "modern" information, but nothing prior to 1846.

Bren.

Offline grandmir

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ARROWSMITH, All
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Brennan,

I saw this posting and thought there may be something to it.

My great grandmother was Miriam Elizabeth Borer, married to Jack Howden.  When she was 15.  Prior to her marriage, she gave birth to a son Enos Mark Lewis Borer in 1868.  I don't know who his father was and whether or not his father's surname could have been Lewis. He was taken care of by Joseph Dafter and his wife Hannah.  They were paid to keep him as a boarder but welcomed him into their home as if he were their own son. They immigrated together to New Zealand in 1878 on the ship Medea.  Some members of the Arrowsmith family were also on that voyage, including Francis, Elizabeth and Jeanette.  Enos later married Jeanette.

I would like to compare information with you, but am uncomfortable using this chat line.  Are you a member of ancestry.com?  I have a tree there under the name Kirton Family Tree.

In the meantime I believe what I have attached is a passenger list of the ship Medea leaving London and arriving at Wellington.

Hope to hear from you soon.  Miriam R. Macdonald. My name is grandmir on rootschat.

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ARROWSMITH, All
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Miriam

Welcome to RootsChat.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, but I didn't get a notification email.
I only found your reply when doing yet another google for John James MATHEWS to try to find a death date.
(I had forgotten I had made this post…)

I'm guessing that if you are descended from Enos' mother, then you are not researching the ARROWSMITH family and conversely, I am not descended from Jeanette and Enos, so not researching the BORER family.

Liesette, Emilia and Thomas were already in NZ when the others arrived on the Medea.

Enos married twice, although he had to wait until Jeanette died, as she wouldn't give him a divorce as he had deserted her.

No, I'm not a member of Ancestry.

Brennan