Author Topic: New Zealand Troops in Torquay in 1919  (Read 2627 times)

Offline xavtia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
New Zealand Troops in Torquay in 1919
« on: Tuesday 27 February 07 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I have found that my great grandad was in Torquay in 1919 before returning to New Zealand with his British Wife and their baby, can anyone suggest where I could look to find when they left?

thanks
Almond Yate Bank, Bush Suffolk, Elliot Cumbria,Smith Steppingley,Andrew New Zealand, Callaghan Mayo, Daley Stacksteads, Molloy Mayo

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Troops in Torquay in 1919
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 17:59 GMT (UK) »
New Zealand troops were in Torquay, wounded men began to arrive in May 1917 at the St Marychurch convalescent camp (Just up the road from where I live) They used the Hampton Estate, particularly the big house and tents on the estate land.
On 4th May that year a YMCA was opened for them. Another YMCA was opened in Torquay itself at St Lukes Road North. A Kia Ora club was opened in Torwood street.
Another house that was used was the Daison Estate, and also a house in Furzehill Road.
Hampton House later became the discharge depot.
Sorry have no information on the means by which they left Torquay- but would have thought that as there was a discharge depot that some form of official transport would have been laid on.
Regards
Terry Leaman
Torquay
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora!
If you write to the NZ Defence Force in Trentham marking it ARCHIVES RECORDS you can get one free military record per annum.

The Record should show his discharge and the means by which he left England ie the name of the ship & port of departure. You may find the wife & baby sailed separately.

I think I am right in saying that all mine spent time after disembarkation in a Camp probably because so many had contracted the flu either before or during the voyage home.

Good luck.
Marlene
Aotearoa
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 07 01:26 GMT (UK) »
On a more sombre note I believe there are a number of Anzac graves in the Torquay town cemetery.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES