Author Topic: 26th Punjabis, Indian Army  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
26th Punjabis, Indian Army
« on: Tuesday 27 February 07 17:38 GMT (UK) »
We have my f-i-law's autograph book with autographs from the time he graduated from Sandhurst in 1916 - through to the mid 1920s.  His brother, James Kerr McConnell, about whom we know very little, has signed it with the footnote 26th Punjabis, Indian Army and his address as c/o Cox & Co, Rawalpindi.  I know that they were bankers to the military.

Has anyone any info on the regiment or know where I could find it?

Many thanks as always
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 26th Punjabis, Indian Army
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you Google your title 26th Punjabis,Indian Army there is about 500 answers. One of these might be of help.

Trevor
Ethell in Yorkshire & Kent
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Kersley In Sheffield & Winchester
Roberts in Llanwrst & Sheffield
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"

Offline OldBraggs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
1919 Indian Army List
Lt. James Kerr McConnell
Born 23 January 1895
Commissioned 2nd Lt. 19 July 1916
Admitted to Indian Army and attached 74th Punjabis 8 December 1916
Lt. 19 July 1917

Steve
Cheltenham. The Gloucestershire Regiment.
Military History. Medal collector.

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve and Trevor
Thank you both for your replies.  I shall now be able to google with some knowledge of the dates Jim was commissioned and promoted.  He was a Captain when he signed Dad's book.

His date of birth was about all we did know. That and the fact that he died of a stomach complaint, had a daughter who died young and was estranged from the rest of the family - we think because his mother didn't like daughter in law!  Difficult to piece together as they went to live in N Ireland!

You may be interested to see his photo below.

Thanks again for your help.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 07 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen :) I suspect this may be someone with the same initials/surname, but in case I've posted the following info for you.

the Times dated June 5th 1935 says,
"the 20th Hussars regimental dinner was held at the Savoy Hotel last evening. Brigadier-General G T G Edwards presided, and the following accepted invitations to be present:-
................Lieutenant-Colonel J. K. McConnell.........etc."

Annual Dinner held again in June 1937 - same name mentioned

best wishes
MarMnkly
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hello There

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 07 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Ellen, :)
Part of your story is very much like mine!!!!!
My grandmother was also disowned by her family for marrying a "commoner"
This also happened out in Rawalpindi,she then came to live in liverpool  !!!!
Jacky :)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 07 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MarMnkly and Jacky

The 20th Hussars dinner is interesting - we know nothing more of what happened to Jim and it could be him.  He was married and had a daughter - we think that he died with a stomach complaint and then the wife and daughter died young in Ireland.  No other clues!

Best wishes

Ellen

Offline GWBP

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 19:24 BST (UK) »
Ellen

I hope that you are still monitoring this topic.

I am researching Belfast Presbyterians in the Great War and there are three McConnell brothers (James Kerr, Robert Brooks and Samuel Britton) on the Roll of Honour for the Macrory Meorial congregation.

I would be interested to make contact with you.

Regards

Nigel Henderson

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel
Yes, I still monitor the topics. The 3 brothers you mention were my father in law (Robert Brooks) and his 2 brothers.  Since posting this we have been able to find out more about his brothers.  Sam was killed in WW2 in Burma in 1942 and Jim died in Belfast in 1938.  My f-i-law died in York in 1975.
We were in Belfast very recently and got a copy of Jim's widow's will in which she left £200 to the Macrory Memorial Presbyterian Church in memory of her late husband as he used to attend the church when he was a boy.  They lived at 6 Rosewood St and their father was a Trade Warder carpenter at Crumlin Road Jail.
Jim joined the Indian Army and Robert and Sam were commissioned into the Inniskilling Fusiliers.  Robert later transferred to the York and Lancaster Regiment so that in war time the brothers would not be involved in the same action. Robert was in the army from 1914 to 1947. He was awarded the MC in 1918 and the MBE in 1937 for service in Palestine. Sam's obituary says that he would probably have been awarded the DSO had he lived.
We would be really interested to know about the Roll of Honour and look forward to hearing from you.  I will PM you my e-mail address.  Best wishes, Ellen McConnell.