Author Topic: Age on Death Certs  (Read 9515 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Age on Death Certs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 07 08:46 GMT (UK) »
My gt grandmother reduced a few years from her age during her second marriage.
If he had give age at death, it would presumably been wrong.
Is somoen is a lodger or staying with e.g. nieces, or such a person reports death, they may have little idea of the real age.

I have two or three times seen people with the same age at 2 successive censuses, so would never be surprised
Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 March 07 08:59 GMT (UK) »
I have one woman who lowered her age on the marriage cert by 7 years as her husband to be was 10 years younger than her.

Also another one who on 4 consecutive census returns was aged 39, 39, 45, 47, but it was definitely the same person!!

Don't they make our lives interesting....

Bren

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 07 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I have one woman who lowered her age on the marriage cert by 7 years as her husband to be was 10 years younger than her.
The menfolk do it too.  I take all ages 'with a pinch of salt'!  Have just done the research on a certain chap who was born anytime from 1861 (death cert) to 1873 (marriage cert) - eventually found his birth cert 1864   :)
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I have a problem finding my g.grandfather, as lots of people will know by now!  On the 1891 census he is 31 but on the 1901 census he is 43.  Now, from the death certificate and family knowledge, I know my g.gran was actually 49 in 1891 when she said she was 42, so why would g.grandad make himself seem even younger than he perhaps was.  Anyone would think that to make the "marriage" if there was one seem more respectable, he would have made himself older to be nearer to g.gran in age. 

If he had been 31 in 1891 he would only have been 24 when my gran was born and his 'wife' 42.  Some undertaking for a young fisherman.  One of the reasons I can't find him is that I have no idea of even his year of birth.

Liz

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 March 07 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Well I think I'll just go for it and order a couple of certs. I do think that as people got old they added on years and were perceived as "very old" so when it came to registering deaths the age given to the registrar was a best guess. Also old people can get muddled and not know themselves their true age.

These days we are so much more aware of the ages of our elderly relatives because it has become the fashion to celebrate in style milestone birthdays ie 70, 80,90, but our ancestors I'm sure did not celebrate in quite the same way.

Sue

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 March 07 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Just a couple of brief points ...

The informant on the death certificate may or may not have know the correct or accurate information about the deceased individual. The individual who wrote up the death cert may have "mis heard" or just wrote down the wrong information.

Ages were not that important. I have several relatives who got younger in later census years.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 March 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I have several relatives who got younger in later census years.
yn9man

What a pity we can't get away with it now, too many people know our real ages  :D

Bar
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 March 07 05:59 GMT (UK) »

What a pity we can't get away with it now, too many people know our real ages :D

Bar

Age is only a state of mine .... as long as you have your mind you can be whatever age you choose.... ;)  ;)

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 March 07 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh,  I'm still 18 on the inside, have been for a few years now  ::)