Author Topic: George Steventon & Ann Shaw in Dudley/Rowley Regis/Old Swinford  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
George Steventon & Ann Shaw in Dudley/Rowley Regis/Old Swinford
« on: Thursday 01 March 07 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for help (and/or advice) to get more on these two.

George Steventon married Mary Ann Shaw (but known in all other records only as Ann) on 24 May 1818 in Old Swinford (according to Worcestershire Marriages database on familyhistoryoneline.net)

From the 1841, 51 and 61 censuses, I know that both were born c. 1795/6, apparently in Dudley.

George died 24 April 1869 and Ann on 13 April 1868, both in Rowley Regis (I have their death certificates)

There was a family tradition, still strongly asserted in the 1940s, that an ancestor was Lifesguardsman Shaw who fought at the Battle of Waterloo.  Clearly the connection would be Ann Shaw, but what the connection is (if there is one) is unknown.

I would like to be able to trace them further back if possible, or just consolidate what I know/believe so far. 

In the 1841 census (HO107; Dudley;Worcestershire; ED 34; Page: 10; ) they are living next door to a Joel Steventon and his family.  Looking at the ages of George and Joel, I would guess they're brothers.  Both called some of their children biblical (?) names (Noah, Gideon, Nimrod, Dorcas, Zillah) and more normal names.

From the census returns I know that George and Ann Steventon had the following children:
  • Ephraim (b. c. 1819, d. of typhus fever 5/1/1845 in Derby End, Dudley)
  • Sarah (b. c. 1821 and so far untraced later than the 1841 census)
  • Elicabeth (b. c. 1824 and so far untraced later than the 1841 census)
  • Jemima (b. c. 1831  and so far untraced later than the 1841 census)
  • Dorcas (b. c. 1834, married George Longstaff & moved to Barrow-in-Furness mid 1880s, d. 8/10/1889
  • Nimrod (b. c. 1836, d. 10/1/1858 in a lift shaft accident at the British Iron Company's Works in Rowley Regis
  • Zillah, aka Priscilla, b. 25/11/1838 in Derby End, married Henry Smith 9/6/1856 at Netherton Parish Church, like Dorcas & her family, Priscilla and her family moved to Barrow-in-Furness, but earlier - they were there by the 1871 census.  They then moved to Blackpool between 1874 and 1876.  She died 28 Apr 1893 (or 1892 if you believe her gravestone over the death certificate!).

Although Priscilla/Zillah (her name is slightly different every time it appears: she was illiterate throughout her life - marrying a Smith must have been good for her, as it meant she wasn't asked how Steventon was spelled - there's every variation of that too!) is my ancestor and link to George and Ann, it would be interesting to fill in the gaps on their other children.

Any and all assistance and referrals to on-line databases welcome.  If the only other option is my going to a local records office, which would that be?  Dudley & Rowley Regis seem to have moved county several times, at least according to the census returns.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline agnew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Steventon & Ann Shaw in Dudley/Rowley Regis/Old Swinford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I am not good at this posting, not familiar with it yet, so hope someone human gets this message.!  I am researcing Smiths from Swinford, Charles Heny Smith whose Father I believe was Henry. No other information other than that he had two sons in early 1880.s (in Madras) so probably was born between 1855 - 1865. Any help gratefully received. Liz Agnew Australia

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 March 07 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I've not come across a Charles Henry Smith in my Smiths, nor any mention that any of my Smiths went to India.

They're a real pain these Smiths - as if Smith wasn't common enough, it seems that Henry is about the most common forename too!   :)
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 07 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aulus
The Oldswinford records should be at Dudley though I'm not entirely sure. Somebody looked at the micro film for me at Stourbridge Library so it depends a bit on where you are and where you can get to. I have a couple who married at Old Swinford in 1827 and at that time the witnesses were being recorded so it might be worth seeing if that helps at all.
If you haven't done so try looking at www.rowleyregis.com which is a local site with big interest infamily history. A couple of people have registered an interest in the Steventon name but they aren't active posters so I make no promises there. It might be worth posting on one of the forum boards with similar info to what you have here, and see if you get any help. It is a very freindly board (if you discount the recent spate of exchanges which I put down to spring madness :) )

Looking at the IGI I would say that George is entered there as George Steevenson, 14/1/1798 St Thomas Dudley, parents Joseph and Zealous Steevenson.
Joseph and Z/Jealous Stevens/ton seem to have
George 1798
Obediah 1799
Joel 1802
Nancy 1805
Phebe 1808
Karenhappuch 1812

It looks as though Joseph was still alive in 1841, aged 73 and living with daughter Phebe probably, on Belper Row like the brothers.
You should be able to find Joseph and Zealous marriage on the IGI and that will give you her surname.
None of which helps with the Shaw aspect  ;)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janet66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 March 17 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi new to Roots and Ancestry , just spent the day with my uncle discussing the Parkinson's of Blackpool ! My 3rd Grandfather Ralph Parkinson died 1879 leaving a widow Esther Pearson age 45 - she then married Joseph Steventon age 25 whose father was Nimrod - he ran off soon after she lived with her daughter from her 1st marriage and may of also gone to the workhouse - I think he ran off with quite a bit of money ... there are nt any other Nimrod - Do you know anything about Jospeh
was Nimrod his father ? Thank you

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 March 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I think you could be on the right track with this.
Nimrod married in 1854 (marriage is on freereg.org.uk)

St Edmunds Dudley 17 September 1854
Nimrod Stevenson aged 20 bachelor furnaceman, father George Stevenson horse nail maker
Margaret Griffiths aged 22 spinster, father Richard Griffiths carpenter

Birth:
Steventon, Joseph mmm Griffiths
1855 S qtr Dudley volume 06C page 2

Baptism:
Joseph Stephenton at Rowley Regis 22 March 1857
Father Nimrod, mother Margaret

As it says above, Nimrod died in 1858 and I think your Joseph might be with his grandparents in 1861

Rowley Regis
George Steventon 66
Ann ditto 66
Joseph ditto 6 (grandson)
George Longstaff 29
Dorcas ditto 27
Ephraim ditto 4
George ditto 1

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline Janet66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 March 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ..I will crack on - quite addictive all this - maybe I can find up where he turned up after he scarpered ...Janet

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 March 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Have fun! There seemed to be a brother for Joseph, and maybe a half-brother too. This site helps find births with the same mother's maiden name https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Offline Janet66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replies